BSA Cycling team jersey colors?

4d38c8db5701ec8b1e91924a43d6351c.jpg

Re:

Very nice, thank you, is the above jersey an original item or is it something that is available for purchase in a shop? I have been looking in Ebay for quite awhile for such BSA team jersey, but so far I have not been able to find anything.

Interesting to see the Benelux handlebar controls for the cyclo Benelux gear, with the cable outer hanging loose not taped round the handlebar.
This was the way to set them so that the Benelux gear would get the low gear in wet conditions, as it relied on the horizontal tension spring to reach the low gear.
Also used to bend the roller cage so that the top roller was closer to the wheel when on the larger chainring. Normal chainring sizes had a 3 or 4 tooth difference to give 10 evenly spaced gear ratios, typically 47x50 with 14 16 18 21 24.

Keith

Re:

We rode cross in the 80s with the gear cable like that, but with a normal derailleur. My current winter hack-trainer, which is cast off cross bike still has its gear cable like that. It's taped for the first inch or so, then hangs loose.
Fully taped cables was something that came mainstream with Ergos.

Re: Re:

pigman":373eeu7u said:
Fully taped cables was something that came mainstream with Ergos.

Eh? Have you looked at my avatar? Fully taped bar-end lever cables were in use in the 50's with the Campag ones (Gastone Nencini, Rik van Looy et al). I always had mine fully taped.

Re:

Happily bow to your experience Ned, just don't remember taped cables being mainstream in 80s cross races

Young Ned, Campagnolo developed a 49 strand extra flexible cable for the handlebar control which allowed more indirect routing of the cables.

Keith

keithglos":3c4qhpgh said:
Young Ned, Campagnolo developed a 49 strand extra flexible cable for the handlebar control which allowed more indirect routing of the cables.

Keith
Yes Keith, I remember those cables now you mention them, braided and very flexible. However, I can't really remember using them specifically for HBC levers, I'm sure I just used whatever I could find that was long enough!

YOUNG Ned?

Not quite old enough to remember seeing BSA jerseys in action :)

Latest posts

Back