Brooks saddles and sit bone question.

sawston_vulcan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi…Does anyone know the effective width of a Brooks Swift saddle…the saddle is 153mm wide and my sit bones come in at 110mm…so in theory the Swift should be fine but is it?

I don’t want to sit on the rivets or metal cantle.

Anyone know?

I’ve got a Swallow is that the same dimensions but less side skirt? I find the B17s more comfortable than the Swallow which I realise is entirely useless to you unless we are the same size!

Hi…Does anyone know the effective width of a Brooks Swift saddle…the saddle is 153mm wide and my sit bones come in at 110mm…so in theory the Swift should be fine but is it?

I don’t want to sit on the rivets or metal cantle.

Anyone know?
Riding style needs to be considered - are you into low, aggressive position or more upright stance? You definitely are not going to sit on the rivets, but padded bibs are best for it, on B17 you can go bare though

Riding style needs to be considered - are you into low, aggressive position or more upright stance? You definitely are not going to sit on the rivets, but padded bibs are best for it, on B17 you can go bare though
Somewhat aggressive…not upright…saddle a few cm above the bars..I ride on the hoods and drops mainly…Definitely I use padded bibs at all times.

Thank you for your comments…I have read that with Brooks leather saddles the tilt should slightly nose upwards…true or urban myth?
true to me, but let not stop you have it straight for your style of riding. You could perhaps borrow one to see if it suits you?

Thank you for your comments…I have read that with Brooks leather saddles the tilt should slightly nose upwards…true or urban myth?

Depends om two factors, IME: sag of the saddle and your position on the bike. If the leather is sagging a bit, tilting it back helps you to stay comfortable. Same when your bars are closer and you are more upright.

I'd start with the saddle level with the ground and work from there.

Back