British Steel

Another pic of the bike in snow. Never knew how rare the bike was until I followed the link from the Roberts web site. Just thought of it as my old bike that I love to ride and it still feels like the first time I rode it every time I'm on it

Attachments

• 64742_240293662775408_1459877627_n.jpg
    64742_240293662775408_1459877627_n.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 426
Re:

Brilliant. That's what it's all about...

Welcome to the site. I think you've probably made a lot of members envious...

Thanks for the welcome I didn't post to make anyone envious but after I read that there was only 4 known to still exist I thought I better join and post some picks of a fifth one. Can I also take the opportunity to say that there's some amazing bikes on here (not just on this subject) its making an old man feel young again

Re:

Back to earth with a bump after the last few pages of rare beasts. A British icon nonetheless, my 88 Pioneer still waiting patiently to be finished.

Hi sinnerman it was your bike on the Roberts web site that got me to this site I'm from Huddersfield Yorkshire. I went to see Chas Roberts in December 1989 to get the frame built for me (tange prestige rear triangle and the rest is Columbus Max OR including the forks) I received the frame in February 1990 and over the next few months put the bike together. Ive changed a few bits over the years (wheels brakes bar ends) but the rest is still the 1990 setup and original paint job. It climbs like a dream 15 1/2inch stays great on single track 12inch to bottom bracket and a handful downhill lol but after 25years it still handles like a dream

panny":g663is4s said:
Hi sinnerman it was your bike on the Roberts web site that got me to this site I'm from Huddersfield Yorkshire. I went to see Chas Roberts in December 1989 to get the frame built for me (tange prestige rear triangle and the rest is Columbus Max OR including the forks) I received the frame in February 1990 and over the next few months put the bike together. Ive changed a few bits over the years (wheels brakes bar ends) but the rest is still the 1990 setup and original paint job. It climbs like a dream 15 1/2inch stays great on single track 12inch to bottom bracket and a handful downhill lol but after 25years it still handles like a dream

Im so glad you posted, and its great to have you too. Welcome. I was sure when I saw the picture of the original colour way, that this was the bike that both Chas and Brian both mention still resided with its original owner... :shock:

What im super surprised at (and delighted to hear), Chas was adamant when looking for the tube for mine, he only made this model of frame with 531 magnum tubing aside from the Stratos prototype, now either his memory was foggy, or you might even have Number two (the first production).

Man I love this place.

When I got the frame there was a tange preatege decal on the down tube and recently I added columbus decals to the forks (covered up a bad rub mark from when it was on a bike carrier many years ago) these are definitely the 2 materials that I asked chas to make the bike from. I remember chas asking what type of riding I did and I replied mainly single track with lots of hill and that was what he built it for I also remember when leaving his shop he said the frame probably won't lats more than a couple of years lol

panny":3i94k4br said:
When I got the frame there was a tange preatege decal on the down tube and recently I added columbus decals to the forks (covered up a bad rub mark from when it was on a bike carrier many years ago) these are definitely the 2 materials that I asked chas to make the bike from. I remember chas asking what type of riding I did and I replied mainly single track with lots of hill and that was what he built it for I also remember when leaving his shop he said the frame probably won't lats more than a couple of years lol

Wow, this is awesum stuff. Looking at the fork on the bike, its seems identical to the fork on my White Spider CR too.

Id love to see this in the flesh, the three I have seen have all been identical even down to the tube size, geometry and fork.

Its so good to hear its been with you since new too, and he also said the same about the White Spider Ultralight, but they really do stand the test of time....

He can be really humble I find, especially when talking of his own builds. and he wasn't afraid to comment like it in the press too. I have an article somewhere, he was adamant, the spider would only last a race season, and yet after 25 years its still perfection to me, and I have ridden it hard.

I'll try and post some more photos later (laptop gone down recently so I'm having to get pictures of my Facebook page to my new tablet to post on here)

Back