Bottom bracket spanner

Nifty850

Retro Newbie
I am trying to overhaul my crank bearings but on the adjustable side I cannot seem to find a tool that fits the two square slots. There are many 2 pin spanners around but the Park tool pins are 29mm apart and therefore too wide. Also, being square slots and not holes I cannot see how a 2 pin spanner would give a snug connection in any event.

Has anybody seen this this type of fitting before and if anyone can provide any guidance regarding an appropriate tool it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    579.1 KB · Views: 465
Re:

What bike is it?
Personally I've not come across this type before, I'll be surprised if someone on the forum hasn't tho!
I assume you've removed the lock ring if so try plenty of penetrating oil & maybe try tapping it round using something soft like aluminum or brass!
Other than that this type of spanner may do the job, available from Park Tool for example.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    50.3 KB · Views: 456
Re:

Thanks for that. The spanner you show is the HCW 11 and would seem to be the necessary tool for these slots; I don't know why I didn't notice that :roll: Ideally however, I would want the prongs mated with the 36mm box end of the HCW 4 wrench then I would have both sides covered but I guess one can't have everything!

The bikes are both CB. A 1979 Coureur (022136) and a 1983 Majestic (048229)

Attachments

• IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 452
Should have added that whilst it appears that the HCW 11 is an appropriate tool it would be nice to hear from someone that has actually removed this fitting before.

Re:

I've come across one before, but mine wasn't seized. I took the lockring off and then just tapped it out with a hammer and punch to get it going and then just undid it using the punch as a winder- handle, if that makes sense

Re:

Thank you, I guess it is going to come down to that.

It does seem a bit odd though that these were mass produced fittings 40 years ago and one would have thought a specific tool existed?

What make are the chainsets, possibly Sakae? Did they sell a tool for the job? I've never seen a BB like that.

Re:

The chain sets both have Sakae dust caps and Silstar crank arms. The 79 has 54; 42 chainrings and the 83 has 50; 36 not that that's particularly relevant but raises another question for another post!

I have gingerly tried tapping with a punch and hammer and nothing seems to want to give so will probably keep looking for an appropriate tool. I had a quick search for Sakae/Silstar removal tools but all searches seem only concerned with crank pullers.

Thanks for the input chaps, I am feeling positive that something will come up :D

A punch/drift is entirely appropriate to loosen these off; Just keep a very flat angle when you tap it and it is highly unlikely that you'll cause any damage to the parts whatsoever. I assume you'll change the bearings while you're there?

You'll be amazed when you clean up the threads how easily it will wind back in.
Looks like a Sakae Ringyo (sp?) axle to me.

ZG862":2e11k8gh said:
I assume you'll change the bearings while you're there?

Oh yes, that is the main reason for removal, there is probably +/- 2-3mm of movement on the crankset and a horrible clicking sound.

Many thanks for everyone pitching in.

I just looked at the Park Tool FR2C which has pins at 25mm and would probably fit but if it isn't designed for the stresses involved the pins would likely give way. Anybody tried this?

Latest posts

Back