BoTM May 2014 - Patina Special - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

That's about perfect for the month. Very nice.[/quote]
The entries must either be a special or limited edition, ideally in the title to prevent argument

Re:

I hope this qualifies?

Splatter Paint's 1989 Kona Explosif

Special? Well, the forks are stamped 1988, making it a very early one, it is mostly original and the 'Explosif' model became very popular through the years and this is the first of the breed....

Patina? Plenty of dents, scratches, corrosion etc. etc!

It is a shame my camera phone struggles to capture the paint in full sunlight, it is actually quite a pale colour.

Pre-overhaul photos here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=291176 and Crantinope's amazing condition model for what it should look like when new (my favourite bike on RetroBIKE). viewtopic.php?t=92338

SP

Attachments

• F_Explosif.JPG
    F_Explosif.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 1,492
  • F_Fence_Drive.JPG
    F_Fence_Drive.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,486
Re:

Again time a BOT with many discussions.

When I read the "theme of the month" , I immediately knew which bike I want you to do here .

landsbee`s Cilo Team ex Albert Zweifel Bike

The Cilo is lugged and made from Columbus Off Road Steel with a Original AccuTrax 1" Fork, Rest of the Parts all Original (only the Saddle ist a 91`Flite).

It is the EX bike by Albert Zweifel (5x Cross World Champion and 9x Swiss Cross Champion) in 1990 his career was over and he wanted to but not quite complete it, and a few amateur mountain bike racing contest . In 1989 he drove a season for the Swiss Mondia MTB Team , 1990 then only amateur race for the Swiss Cilo team. In 1991, he give the bike to a young MTB driver ( J.Berwert ) who drove it after that for a lot of races , sometime before it ended up in a basement ( not brushed :shock: ;)

Many years later it was him then only in the way and he has sold it and I was the lucky buyer .

He could not understand why I , with its dirt , scratches and bad paint would absolutely have this old bike , I got it to him then to put it simply ...

This is a piece of bike history, drawn from many competitions , falling etc. a witness to the good old days !

I have never cleaned the Cilo , it probably still stuck to the dirt from the 90s on it :mrgreen:

Albert Zweifel Cilo Team 1989 _01 von veloliebe landsbee auf Flickr

Albert Zweifel Cilo Team 1989 _02 von veloliebe landsbee auf Flickr

Re:

Here's my entry. It was very close to being skipped by the previous owner. Wears all it's scratches and chips with pride.

Easy_Rider's '85 Diamondback Apex

C2210F37-9096-472A-BC4D-E248F3C0D6EE_zpsabptka4a.jpg

EDB434C7-B6CE-4655-A928-138C1ABB9205_zpsbrectz8b.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183651

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back