Boot sale find benotto 2500: gravelly buildy thingy

Well it’s definitely one it literally has benotto stamped on the dropouts, and benotto on the seatstay caps. Yes the fork crown is wrong (it’s actually a Reynolds fork…) so not original. Lugs are exactly the same as the model I was thinking of. The bb was used by benotto I attached a link to an eBay listing with the same bb shell. As I said there is a likelyhood this was stolen as the benotto logo has been ground off and you can barely see the “to”. And I never said it was earlier than 80s

Sure it’s not the £2000+ benotto exotica but it’s still a benotto. Even in the very low likelyhood that it isn’t it’s still not a Friday afternoon job, and it’s damn close. So I’m going to carry on.

Did you even read the thread?…

And what’s this about upside down brake bridges?

Anyway I’m no expert, but I don’t see why someone would go through the effort of replicating one of these. It even has a serial number.
I'm only trying to be helpful here. Yes I did read the thread. All of it. Only saw pictures of the yellow seat stay caps and dropouts covered by wheel skewer so not helpful really. If you stripped the paint and revealed a Benotto logo fine. But there's some inconsistencies here. The brake bridge looks like a V shape. Is this correct? Identifying a frame is all about the details. As I said I've never seen one like that before, they are supposed to be an inverted V shape (raised to clear the tyre) so this is clearly upside down. And by the time this was standard on frames the TT cables were usually internal not eyeletted. The BB shell is also a mass produced cheaper model that was usually found on Cromor or Aelle tubed frames. If it is a Benotto then it's had mods and/ or repairs rather than a knock off. As you rightly say it's not worth the bother.

Inverted brake mount will be a mod to fit 650b rims on a 700c or 28" frame which suggested it was timetraile or toured.
External cables maybe alterations too for simplicity, got an endoscope to look down the tubes? You might find they have internal routing that's been blanked.

It was 30 quid, it looks a good frame, don't care if its an as built factory bike or a heavily modded monster, build it, ride it enjoy it and **** everyone else's opinion. If you want I'll do you a bandito decal set to really confuse people.

Inverted brake mount will be a mod to fit 650b rims on a 700c or 28" frame which suggested it was timetraile or toured.
External cables maybe alterations too for simplicity, got an endoscope to look down the tubes? You might find they have internal routing that's been blanked.

It was 30 quid, it looks a good frame, don't care if its an as built factory bike or a heavily modded monster, build it, ride it enjoy it and **** everyone else's opinion. If you want I'll do you a bandito decal set to really confuse people.
Well said my good man👍 Yes it’s not a v shape it’s straight as an arrow. I do not have an endoscope but the external cable routing doesn’t look stock so I’ll be checking that.

I may not use the bandito set as I’ve already ordered some decals, but @Bi_Polar_Bear_77 might want some?

Instead of powder coating or rattle canning or anything else,

I was thinking of treating the metal but I don’t really know anything on that.
I though I would get my dad’s acrylic painting stuff out and maybe use the bike as my canvas? Do it bob ross style? Sounds silly but it may work and I think it’ll look cool and unique.

There was a frame on here many moons ago that had little tree details on the frame.

I though I would get my dad’s acrylic painting stuff out and maybe use the bike as my canvas? Do it bob ross style? Sounds silly but it may work and I think it’ll look cool and unique.

There was a frame on here many moons ago that had little tree details on the frame.
Bob Ross style.
That will be lots of Van Dyke brown then🙂

I guess you could use some sort of rust converter like Vactan then clearcoat it. It leaves a kind of black/grey/dark blue finish to steel. Would be quite an uneven finish. By the time you’ve bought that and some clear coat plus the effort it’s almost powder coat price.

I’ve rattle canned a couple of frames plus various forks etc in the greenhouse now. Needs warm weather and lots and lots of preparation effort.

I guess you could use some sort of rust converter like Vactan then clearcoat it. It leaves a kind of black/grey/dark blue finish to steel. Would be quite an uneven finish. By the time you’ve bought that and some clear coat plus the effort it’s almost powder coat price.

I’ve rattle canned a couple of frames plus various forks etc in the greenhouse now. Needs warm weather and lots and lots of preparation effort.
I’ve already got a couple cans of clear coat. And some rust converter somewhere in the paint cupboard🤔.

But I think a bob ross style bike is the winning style. Who I. They’re right mind doesn’t want a frame with happy little trees on it?

Back