Boot sale find benotto 2500: gravelly buildy thingy

I'd DIY rattle it or get it powdercoated

Even painting it by brush with enamel would be a better rust prevention

Oh I’ll clear coat it. I was thinking about powder coat but bare metal seemed like a better idea.
Clear coating will not prevent rust under the clear. Clear coat is designed to adhere to a painted surface to provide increased protection to the paint, preventing scuffs and scratches, and of course add a nice gloss or matte effect. It will prevent corrosion for a short while but soon you'll find rust appearing under the clear, because its not designed to adhere to a bare metal surface.

Bare metal frames are real popular, especially within BMX circles and many ride hi ten and chromoly frames that have been rawed, but all of them corrode easily and you will find that you have to sand down and reapply often.

For longevity its paint or nothing

Boiled linseed would probably yield a better layer of protection, and can easily be reapplied but again it will eventually corrode, so I'd say go for paint. Unless you don't mind it getting rusty, then I say go for it

And if I sound dismissive it's because I've done raw metal frames myself and even dreamt of gun bluing (nearly went through with it) but from the perspective of preventing rust and keeping a bike maintenance free I prefer paint.

That said, this is a great find at a formidable price.

And if I sound dismissive it's because I've done raw metal frames myself and even dreamt of gun bluing (nearly went through with it) but from the perspective of preventing rust and keeping a bike maintenance free I prefer paint.

That said, this is a great find at a formidable price.
What about blackening steel? I did a thread on that and people say that it could work. @My_Teenage_Self suggested kurust, is that transparent?

@Nob I would’ve bet all of my money that you were going to say chrome!😂

Reactions: Nob
I think you've seen my ramblings in the wrenchers.
honest truth, you could coat it all to a blue then oil it, but you will need to reapply oil routinely or it will just rust again.
Bikes are hard😐 I’ll give a test with beeswax because I can’t afford to paint it nor can do a good paint job. I’ll do a test on the forks

Back