BMX, your thoughts?

Occasional playtime at the track, trails or park would be okay. Although at 6"2 and heavier than ever I doubt ill be riding my Hoffman much more. Commuting......unless its round the corner i wouldnt.

Unless you can get away with a 24"inched wheeled cruiser bmx?
When I sold my car back in 2022 I bought a 24" SE So Cal Flyer and a Pinnacle hybrid bike, which I loved riding, however living in a hilly city up north brought along some challenges like climbing and not having gears meant I ended up walking up some hills which to me felt it defeated the point of having a bike, so I sold it and I had already bought a 1999 16" GT Tequesta and put a BMX stem and handlebars on that came from a GT BMX bike I bough really cheap. So I sold the Pinnacle hybrid and bought a 1998 GT Tempest frame and swapped the handlebars from the Tequesta over onto a new BMX stem. The Tempest gives a nice upright cruising posture and makes for a great ride. It also has been converted to a 1x9 Shimano XT drivetrain with a narrow wide chain ring.
So that may be a solution for you to get a MTB converted to BMX/MTB hybrid build and enjoy cruising!

Attachments

• 20231009_170156.jpg
    20231009_170156.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231006_160458.jpg
    20231006_160458.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240126_155634.jpg
    20240126_155634.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
BMX bikes are great for short rides and giggles, my advice would be to buy another BMX 🤣
😂 agreed -
A bmx for fun - I can’t believe how much I’ve missed it for so many years man. Just to prat around in the car park and the lane getting myself the old dog to learn new tricks is so so much fun.

It’s when you want to ride a bike but don’t want to spend time preparing - planning a ride or haven’t the time for a long mountain bike or road session and an excuse to “play” (also with the kids) -

When I sold my car back in 2022 I bought a 24" SE So Cal Flyer and a Pinnacle hybrid bike, which I loved riding, however living in a hilly city up north brought along some challenges like climbing and not having gears meant I ended up walking up some hills which to me felt it defeated the point of having a bike, so I sold it and I had already bought a 1999 16" GT Tequesta and put a BMX stem and handlebars on that came from a GT BMX bike I bough really cheap. So I sold the Pinnacle hybrid and bought a 1998 GT Tempest frame and swapped the handlebars from the Tequesta over onto a new BMX stem. The Tempest gives a nice upright cruising posture and makes for a great ride. It also has been converted to a 1x9 Shimano XT drivetrain with a narrow wide chain ring.
So that may be a solution for you to get a MTB converted to BMX/MTB hybrid build and enjoy cruising!
Can't do feeble grinds in a mini with qrs haha once I've cleared as much as possible I may build something similar. The 26 se bikes do look mega

I picked up a 24" Diamondback Nitrus (Kenisis factory, Taiwan) for the same reasons. The Lads were getting into BMX, and I wanted to have something to mess around on the track with them. It's definitely great for building skills that translate to trails. Berms and features are great for learning to pump for speed and momentum. Plus, it takes a different kind of leg strength, more like a sprint than long distance, so it can shake the leg workout up. Also, it's a heck of a lot of fun around the neighborhood, just blasting around the streets, hopping off every curb and bump. Turns little rides into big adventures. I even take it out on the neighborhood trails sometimes, and took it camping once for a week of gravel grinding. That last one wasn't so smart, those aren't sealed bearings, and they're not comfortable on long rides. At all.

Last edited:
Snakebite:
199695-IMG-20220708-131538819.jpg 204202-IMG-20220812-131110249.jpg
Was listed as "kid's bike" so I got it for a steal, had a plastic chain guard, but it is not a toy. Very stiff aluminum, chromoly fork and bars. The real riders at the track think that high post is insane

I’m all for it. I kinda want to build a 24 or 26” BMX of some variety in the future. I have an SE STR-29 quadangle which is a 29” bmx, it’s great for just cruising around but it’s big and heavy and not easy to do faster bmx stuff.
IMG_3418.jpeg

Back