BMX, your thoughts?

I rode BMX from 16-21 years old, im about to turn 40 and i'm currently mid-way through rebuilding a replica of my beloved custom built '98 Hoffman Deebo that was dripping in all the parts from the Road Fools era... Primo to boot, G-Sport hub and Kink slab ring - sadly it was stolen in 2000 and never seen again! After a drinking session during lockdown I suddenly remembered EVERY component I had 20 years ago, colour & all & have since set about sourcing all the parts (VGC used).

BITD I used to regularly session 2-4 hours on my BMX, sometimes even a 6hr Derby Storm session following by riding back to Derby Train Stn, back to Notts and then bombing through Notts home. VERY much doubt I could manage more than about 30 mins these days haha! I did however manage to pull a clean 180 hop to fakie on a customers BMX bike (on test ride) the other day and for that split second, I was 18 again lol. Bikes truly are like time machines sometimes!

I'm 5'9 and still ride my BMX occasionally for leg workouts (2002 Redline Supa X--midschool).
As a midschool bike it is rather heavy (about 31lbs) with Tuffwheels.

I recently put 11 inch tall bars (S&M Elevenz) and a layback seatpost that I keep extended to the max (this is the setup you will need if you are over 40 and your name is not Ryan Nyquist:LOL:).

I purposely take it out for long rides to get a good leg pump.

Last edited:
I borrow my lads ‘96 Claud Anaconda to pop to the village shop every now & then, hopping each & every curb and pavement edge ramp on the way just for kicks & giggle.
I love it, but at 6’1” I’d not want to ride it any further!
890E56DC-9C9B-4F47-8ECA-99B9BBD7B646.jpeg

and a hamax bracket to bring my daughter! Actually the dropper makes a lot of sense with a child on the back too.

I tried to relive my BMX youth a few years back. I raced back in the 80s, started on a chrome burner then a DP Firebird. I managed to buy one of the ltd ed Raleigh team Aero pro burners, it's hanging in the hall way, but this got me thinking and I then got the parts together to build a BMX. Ammaco team chamion with skyways, very cool. I rode it around the block, decided it was way too much like hard work, then it sat on the garage. I have since got an se fast ripper, a 29er cruiser with SRAM gx 1x10 gears. It's fun, but not a BMX. In short I agree that a 90s MTB with riser bars is the closest feeling.

I have a Diamondback 24" BMX which I ride at the local track. I am definitely not a competitor, but it is great training for the trails. Pump skills and cornering are essential with BMX. Plus, sprinting power, as you can't rely on gravity. I also take it for the occasional neighborhood cruise, definitely not what the bike was intended for, not a comfortable ride whatsoever, but I always have a ton of fun, end up riding further than I had intended. IMG_20211029_135455672.jpg
IMG_20211029_133623876.jpg

26" is also an option, either a Strandie type cruiser from the old days, or convert a mountain bike. I have nebulous plans for one of my Hardrocks to go SS, might get a BMX bike out of it eventually
Many new cruiser class bmxs are available too, with companies like PK making the Ripper series, even a 29" remake of the old quadrangle
2021_SE_MONSTER-QUAD_FRONT_800x.png

It is a good time to go biking

Last edited:
I do still have a BMX somewhere (I bought one 20 odd years ago as I thought it would be cheaper than bending Mavics all the time). Loads of fun, but to the OPs question - anything over a short distance will good leg training :D

I recently bought one for my 11 year old from here from @Tobias Rodriguez
A lovely Hoffman George JR
I’ve been playing with it the last couple of days and am loving just pissing around in the car park - we both take turns trying new skills. Re-living my wasted youth so much that now I want one for myself.
Not for general riding nor commuting but just to prat around on when playing out with my son. He doesn’t much enjoy MTBing as he’s very much a child and just wants to play - mix up a game of basketball with the kids playground followed by a little park biking and stuff.

IMG_3464.jpeg

Back