Blazing Saddles

davester1965

Dirt Disciple
Sorry for the cheesy title guys...need your advice :D

Have spent the evening drinking rioja and doing some research into vintage/retro saddles for my next project, a 1984 Dawes Imperial.

Have discovered that both San Marco and Selle Italia have re-introduced their classic saddles from the 80's, the one's that are grabbing my attention are the Concor, the Rolls and the Regal from San Marco also the Turbo from Selle Italia.

The question is..

a, Which of these are Period Correct for a 1984 Road Bike?
b, Which is most comfortable?
c, Which will look best on a Hand Built (albeit factory) Dawes Frame with
upgraded Shimano 600 EX (6207 Series) Groupset?

PS. Frame will be restored to original factory colour scheme.....Burgundy Enamel, White and Gold Livery and Lug Lining, Polished Alloy Components, White and Silver Finishing Kit.

Your thoughts and advice please Guys.

B17 on an Audax or Touring Bike of that era, most definitely, but this bike was originally built as a racer and had a generic Dawes saddle (Copy of the Concor?)
Also Brooks only seem to do the Team Pro and the Swallow in White...which are both sold out and out of my price range :-(

I'd have no hesitation in fitting a Turbo. Period correct and comfortable - I like the Rolls too but not as comfortable and a bit too bling.

Thanks shinkicker.....don't mind a bit of bling.....gold livery and lugwork was standard on this bike and keep drooling at those gold anodised cassettes that Shimano did back in the 80's.....NOS imported from the capital of bling at about 100 dollars :)

davester1965":3c45oj6g said:
Thanks shinkicker.....don't mind a bit of bling.....gold livery and lugwork was standard on this bike and keep drooling at those gold anodised cassettes that Shimano did back in the 80's.....NOS imported from the capital of bling at about 100 dollars :)

If you did want a Brooks Professional in black with brass rivets and titanium rails (never ridden), I have just taken the saddle off my Team Pro as I've just fitted a NOS Iscaselle Tornado.

originalshinkicker":1riew197 said:
If you did want a Brooks Professional in black with brass rivets and titanium rails (never ridden), I have just taken the saddle off my Team Pro as I've just fitted a NOS Iscaselle Tornado.

Thanks for the offer, tempting, but am going to go with white on this build.

A B17 in honey gets my vote, I have one on my '64 Carlton, they break in easier and look simply gorgeous... very different and individual...

I think a Brooks looks a bit too old-timey on 1980s bikes. Some people were still using them but most racers had moved onto plastic saddles by then, like the GT Royal which was the same shape as a well-ridden B17 but in black plastic. I too am not a big fan of the Rolls because I don't like the shiny gold plate on the back, but it and the Regal are the default saddles that current pro riders use for comfort. If you're on the bike a lot, you really do want comfort over the latest lightweight carbon fibre. On your bike I'd say the Concor or the Turbo are the most likely ones that would have been fitted back then, but if you want a plastic saddle also look at BMX saddles which are the same shape.

Comfort: ultimately it's really down to personal preference and the shape of your undercarriage so don't be surprised if you have to try a few saddles before you find the right one. I didn't find the Selle Regal comfortable at all, for example, but I can sit on some solid plastic 1970's racing saddles all day and be fine.

Back