Blatant 'Zinn' show off thread

I loved the Zinns - I still can picture Isla Rowntree running old friction thumb shifters - I can't remember if it was because of lack of sponsorship or she had a bad hand and couldn't use 'regular' shifters?

Re: zinn off

slimjoe":118ens1z said:
They are very cool bikes. Seem to getting more common..next thing the Jo Burt white/flowered Zinn will be showing up :LOL:

I wish it would, would love to see it in all its Glory.

Great thread LGF, should have started it myself.

They are great bikes and I feel very privileged to have owned two in my time but still gutted that I let one get away :oops: but that's another story! I still haven't had time to get out on mine because of the family commitments, but still itching to find a decent trail to hammer it down and relive the past :)

Here are a couple more images of mine if you haven't seen the thread.

Hi

Thanks mate and I did yes.

The frame had a couple of dents in and some of the decals were missing so basically it was a blank canvas.

I drew the decals and had Dave Yates refurb the frame.

Here are a couple of images of the frame – pre refurb.
If you click in the link in my signature at the bottom then you can go to the build thread.

I have started a build thread for this bike but thought I would add it here so it stays in the collective.

Got this beauty off eBay at the weekend and is in stunning condition.
A rare Z-Classic with full Sachs Classic components.

Going to do a few tweaks and minor changes but nothing major as its too good as it is.

more pictures and details on the the thread:

viewtopic.php?t=209431

stuey":2v142teq said:
Isla Rowntree running old friction thumb shifters - I can't remember if it was because of lack of sponsorship or she had a bad hand and couldn't use 'regular' shifters?

Isla Rowntree invented Retrobiking before we knew it needed inventing.

Don't you know it's the goddam truth?

dbmtb":2ot3kigh said:
stuey":2ot3kigh said:
Isla Rowntree running old friction thumb shifters - I can't remember if it was because of lack of sponsorship or she had a bad hand and couldn't use 'regular' shifters?

Isla Rowntree invented Retrobiking before we knew it needed inventing.

Don't you know it's the goddam truth?

Agreed... :cool:

A lot of riders, wanted the new product, and it either wasnt availiable, or it was too expensive, so if you had to wait for it, or couldnt afford it, people started turning there soon to be outdated thumbshifters upside down.

Im talking about the launch of the Shimano STI shifter.

its seems totally ridiculous now, but it happened.... :roll:

I dont have a clue why Isla did it,.....but plenty did, however shortlived.

Anyone know how many bikes they actuall produced guessing it wasnt a huge ammount. Picked up a z-classic sunday morning. Have we got a list of known serial numbers. Have to say I love the quirky seat stays and the way the cables are routed. What threading did they use for the bb and forks if i need to change them out?

I think someone mentioned a total production of around 200. Sinnerman or Giom6 would probably know.

Nice find BTW, any photos? You know how we love our photos here :cool:

Here she is
IMG_00000045.jpg

Frame number looks like z92028

Back