Bike pricing disparity.

Re: Bike pricing rant.

The bit I always find remarkable is when people complain about the price of a product.

Sure, whatever buddy. I think its clear one is overpriced the other a better deal. Thats all im sayin, said, or going to .
Introduce whatever other factors you want, I'll hand it over to you and your infinite wisdom.

Stressed":3nuun16z said:
And this, surely, is why we go 'retro'?
A decent steel frame for well under a ton if that's all you can afford and happy days.
This ebike thing kettles my swede. Get a f**king motorbike.

I love the 'kettles my swede' remark!
Also totally agree with the motorbike point. There are genuine reasons for ebikes to exist, but so many people think they're getting a moped without the tax, test and insurance, when that's not the point at all. Too many fit and able riders are just lazy and want a hooligan tool. As a hooligan with a gsxr750 I can honestly say that an ebike doesn't appeal to me at all.

" Get a motorbike"

Well first off you need a license, and to get that you need to take a test, then theres the fact you can go up to what is it now ?? over 200mph for superstock ?, or even on the roads 40,50,60,70+mph. Danger danger danger.
Then of course being utterly new to motorbikes you run the risk of being killed through inexperience.
Cost of a new Honda 250, the perfect 'beginners bike' Just over £5000

A friend Max killed on one, think that was an 1100cc, and he was riding for 20 years+. Ended up under a landrover up by Loch Lomond. A talented artist.
An architect I use to work with. Just got his practice off the ground with a great deal of graft - Killed on new years eve.

My Dad told of the street he lived on this being the 50's, and said at one point there were probably about 15 owned bikes. Said that number started to drop as the riders were killed. Ended up with just a couple left.

How do you get to your holiday destination ? Freefall parachuting ? :LOL:

As opposed to pottering along at 25kph on a cycle lane. Not these packed roads.

Madmax1993":6ovy0k5g said:
....totally agree with the motorbike point. There are genuine reasons for ebikes to exist, but so many people think they're getting a moped without the tax, test and insurance, when that's not the point at all. Too many fit and able riders are just lazy and want a hooligan tool. As a hooligan with a gsxr750 I can honestly say that an ebike doesn't appeal to me at all.
I'll drink to that
For a hobbyist cyclist, cycling is meant to be hard, the joy and respect you get out of it is dependant on the effort you put in

For a hobbyist cyclist, cycling is meant to be hard, the joy and respect you get out of it is dependant on the effort you put in

No it isnt. Its a fun thing to do to get about on. Doesnt mean its got to be top speed all day every day. Oh how elitist of you.

And what of people with health conditions ?, where does that sit in this thinking ?. Are they to be banned because they cant put in 100% effort every single mile :?

dyna-ti":vd1ucibx said:
" Get a motorbike"

Well first off you need a license, and to get that you need to take a test, then theres the fact you can go up to what is it now ?? over 200mph for superstock ?

That's my point. Some of the people who want to buy ebikes at my work want a motorbike without the test etc, and they're often disappointed when they realise that's not what they're getting. £4.5k would easily cover a test (~£600), a decent second hand bike (~£2000) and insurance (~£500-£1000 in your first year)

Then of course being utterly new to motorbikes you run the risk of being killed through inexperience.
Inexperience isn't an argument against a particular hobby or mode of transport. Inexperienced drivers are dangerous, but we don't discourage people from learning. Mountain biking can be dangerous for all, especially the inexperienced, but it's a shared hobby we all have, and we all accept the risks.

A friend Max killed on one, think that was an 1100cc, and he was riding for 20 years+. Ended up under a landrover up by Loch Lomond. A talented artist.
This is an old and tired argument against motorbikes. Instead of prattling on about how dangerous motorbikes are and chastising those who ride them, why not advocate making the roads safer for those vulnerable bikers through education and vigilance. Bikers have a lot in common with cyclists in terms of vulnerability, visibility, etc and accidents are usually (but not always) the fault of a careless driver). As I said above, I know the risks, and I ride super defensively and within my limits (despite my quip about being a hooligan). Please don't condescend by telling me how dangerous it is, because I probably know better than you, as I've braved the bike, in addition to my push bikes and my car.

I'm not anti ebike generally, I know the benefits in certain parts of the wider cycling market, but as I said above, so many people want an easy out thinking they can breeze up the climbs as if they were on a trials motorbike.

Re:

First of all, I'm hardly elitist, I did all the racing thing 30 years ago, never won a medal. I'm now an overweight, asthmatic, post-viral cyclist, not Chris froome.

Most of the cyclists I know, and in this I include work colleagues who aren't hobbyist cyclists, do it to keep fit or lose weight. If they put no effort in, why do they do it.

I accept there may be other reasons to ride, either transport or to pootle and smell the flowers. If all someone rides for is utility/transport they aren't hobbyists, in the same way I'm no motoring petrolhead.

Are you one of those 30 year old racing snakes on an ebike dressed as a carbon race bike, in lycra who will pass me on a climb and take pride in the fact they've caught and passed a proper cyclist? What satisfaction does that give in terms of effort? Get a motorbike. It would be at least palletable if they joked about it as they passed, but they have that focussed race-face probably trying to top strava.

Actually i have ridden a motorbike, illegally without licence. Got 'loaned' one, a Honda 250 when i was prospecting for a group in North Wales.

Was 18 at the time and if I could have gotten it to go faster i would have. I found out that doesnt matter the size, at some point you'll crank it open every single chance you get. Off to the shops at 80mph, to the beach at 80mph which was as fast as it would do., :LOL:

I want an ebike to get the weekly shop on, and so I can explore the hills of Scotland, using the cycle path system. And get out with people I know who ride bicycles(and some of them do also have motorbikes), but dont have the medical issue i have. So to keep up and be part of the group, the Ebike is my choice.

There's value in both ebikes and bikes for both hobbyists & those who purely think of them as utility vehicles. Some people like the challenge, others don't want that (or can't).

There probably is something to the notion that some of the more expensive ebikes are a luxury item and that much of your hard earned wonga is going on brand, experience etc and so the pricing isn't entirely rational from some informed buyers' perspective.

Back