Bike of The Month April 2014 - Nominations!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could almost have been an "E-stay Special" month. Not to detract from the non-E bikes on show, mind.

Re: Re:

ratcapa":2mz88s21 said:
Whats up with the cable on the front mech?

Cable attaches to the frame on early FRO's, theres not a single thing wrong with it IMHO, just another fantastic entry this month.

Tire labels aren't aligned with the valve stems...if we're splitting hairs. When the competition gets this tough, its all in the small details!

(but ya, nice bike for sure)

That Goat cleaned up nice. I picked it up from the original owner (for the now previous owner) quite a few years ago.

Really cool bike, but strangely with more Deore/Deore DX in place that I would have expected. Looks like cranks and brakes are still Deore.
Wheelset, seatpost and saddle have been corrected to something more appropriate.
The foundation was great, the new owner did a great job tidying things up!

Here it is with my Bamboo Goat (right after pick up, hence the saddle).
URL so as not to clutter the focus:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/ ... G_4495.jpg

mauricer":fqp7xb8v said:
rumpfy":fqp7xb8v said:
but strangely with more Deore/Deore DX in place that I would have expected. Looks like cranks and brakes are still Deore.
I only see XT here, Eric…. ;)

The cranks and pedals are definitely Deore and I remember the brakes being MT62 or MT63 as well. Its not a bad thing, just not a unified kit.
Bike is also guilty of tire labels and valve stems not being aligned. Also, if it's an 89, the Ti Flite saddle wasn't available until 91.

And for the record, I'm not ragging on anyone's bike...just trying to find flaw with what I consider to be the best bikes in this month's BOTM.
My personal critique on things I see out of place or I would dock points for.

Giom6's Yates - Points off for a repaint. They're only original once. Cables need to be tucked, housing looks long. That kink in the chain tells me its a garage queen/wall hanger. Plastic ferrules. Front QR on the wrong side....which would explain why the front Dart tire is on backwards.

Felixdelrio's 90 Yeti Ultimate - I think this could be the most technically sound bike of the bunch. Pedals should have toe clips and straps. This also indicates a non-rider. SM pads in use are older 80's era pads and not the black finned ones pictured in his build thread. Maybe trim the seat binder? That Ti IRD post is badass.

SYN-CROSSIS's 89 FRO - Tires too new, valve stems not aligned with the tire labels. I would have put the seat binder on the matching side as the wheel QR's away from the housing. Stem is too new for the bike, should be an FTW or Tioga or Cook Bros. Repaint and the pedals are too new with no clips or straps indicating a non-rider.

landsbee`s 89 Goat - Valve stems and tire labels not aligned. Flite saddle too new for the bike. Too bad the bike isn't all XT, but if thats how the bike came, then its correct for that bike. Killer original paint. I'm not seeing the 'build thread' for this guy?

rumpfy's 92 Retrotec - Points docked for a repaint. I don't like repaints...but I did that with this one. Use of low end Trek True Temper bars, bike probably deserved something better. Missing crank caps (though I was trying to show off Ti crank bolts). Pad set up is poor (which I can confirm with the awful braking I was getting). Since corrected with SM pads, but not pictured...so I can only be judged on what you see. Cables were cut a little long. If anyone sees anything else out of place, I'd love to hear it (seriously...its the only way I get better at this).

So thats my break down, take it with a grain of salt. I think the Ultimate edges out the Goat for my #1 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back