Bike Helmets

Until the law dictates it, no one can tell you whether to ride with a helmet or not, you can listen to the arguments for and against and make up your own mind. I have fallen off badly three times in the last 10 years, and broken three helmets whilst doing so, I dont know for sure what would have happened if I hadnt been wearing a helmet, but I continue to do so.

To be honest it should be compulsory by law. Including quad bikes too. God knows i've done some stupid things on a quad with no helmet.

Rod_Saetan":1pjiug4z said:
Until the law dictates it, no one can tell you whether to ride with a helmet or not, you can listen to the arguments for and against and make up your own mind. I have fallen off badly three times in the last 10 years, and broken three helmets whilst doing so, I dont know for sure what would have happened if I hadnt been wearing a helmet, but I continue to do so.

+1

Broken a few helmets, some have cracked in half. They've also saved the ears and scalp from some nasty damage on some occasions.

I feel a bit weird without a helmet on while riding a bike.

Few of the bike helmets offer sufficient protection to ears/jaw/teeth etc, the ones available seem to be more form than function. Some of the ski/snowboarding offerings are intresting in the level of protection they offer..with chin gaurd attachments available...for now though because of thier unfamiliarity with bike riders ..the go fast Tommy Cooper styles will prevail (or until known rider decides he/she's going full wraparound).
http://www.alpinebaseandedge.com/helmet ... 20a&page=2

konatime":2k6kklbo said:
Few of the bike helmets offer sufficient protection to ears/jaw/teeth etc, the ones available seem to be more form than function. Some of the ski/snowboarding offerings are intresting in the level of protection they offer..with chin gaurd attachments available...for now though because of thier unfamiliarity with bike riders ..the go fast Tommy Cooper styles will prevail (or until known rider decides he/she's going full wraparound).

I'm assuming that you've never tried racing (or just riding) in something like that? Anyway, most (if not all) DH riders are already using MX style helmets.
They offer a fair amount of face protection.

Andy R":2qum94wl said:
konatime":2qum94wl said:

I'm assuming that you've never tried racing (or just riding) in something like that? Anyway, most (if not all) DH riders are already using MX style helmets.
They offer a fair amount of face protection.

You assume correct Andy (though if memory serves me right i think a similiar example is available with multi-vents/but not chin gaurd :roll: ), yeah i 've seen the Mx offerings (the style with open earholes and no chin/temple protction leaves me asking....why?-more wraparound as per the poc example and the lots looking reet for the job)...can't understand why down hill riding is full wraparound and other styles that include folk going downhills or smashing thier teeth down thier throat at relatively slow speed feel full protection non worthy. Perhaps a bit of :oops: summed in thier somewhere...either way...there looks to be a little gap in the bike helmet multi task market.

konatime":1nyso58m said:
You assume correct Andy (though if memory serves me right i think a similiar example is available with multi-vents/but not chin gaurd :roll: ), yeah i 've seen the Mx offerings...can't understand why down hill riding is full wraparound and other styles that include folk going downhills or smashing thier teeth down thier throat at relatively slow speed feel full protection non worthy. Perhaps a bit of :oops: summed in thier somewhere...either way...there looks to be a little gap in the bike helmet multi task market.

You can get vented piss-pot type helmets but even they fall a long way short of the ventilation you get with something like the Giro Xen (which is what I use).
Anything that offered worthwhile face protection would be absolute purgatory to do any sustained climbing in - a lot of people use full face helmets for alpine riding (AM or freeride or whatever) but most of them will be using uplifts of one kind or another.
I do climbs of 1,500 - 2,000 metres in Greece, often in temps. of 35-40°C and I wouldn't want to be wearing a helmet that's any heavier or has less ventilation than I already have ;)

Andy R":9e6bkng4 said:
konatime":9e6bkng4 said:
You assume correct Andy (though if memory serves me right i think a similiar example is available with multi-vents/but not chin gaurd :roll: ), yeah i 've seen the Mx offerings...can't understand why down hill riding is full wraparound and other styles that include folk going downhills or smashing thier teeth down thier throat at relatively slow speed feel full protection non worthy. Perhaps a bit of :oops: summed in thier somewhere...either way...there looks to be a little gap in the bike helmet multi task market.

You can get vented piss-pot type helmets but even they fall a long way short of the ventilation you get with something like the Giro Xen (which is what I use).
Anything that offered worthwhile face protection would be absolute purgatory to do any sustained climbing in - a lot of people use full face helmets for alpine riding (AM or freeride or whatever) but most of them will be using uplifts of one kind or another.
I do climbs of 1,500 - 2,000 metres in Greece, often in temps. of 35-40°C and I wouldn't want to be wearing a helmet that's any heavier or has less ventilation than I already have ;)

I think you've explained perfectly Andy.. it's why i presumed there might be a gap in the market. Giro top with vented/earhole half face and chin gaurd...can't be giving you a lot more heat/weight in the conditions you described and would be useful in the conditions every other posters mentioned.

Latest posts

Back