Best way to refurb M900 cranks without polishing

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
We all know that finding Minty or NOS M900 cranks is hard going now.

I’ve a pair of cranks which whilst the logos remain , the finish isn’t great. Mainly lacquer damage and pitting.

I see so many people polish them and stick a decal on which to my eye looks worse than they currently look.

So , has anyone successfully restored a pair ?

I’m thinking anodising them silver , some sort of decal and then lacquer.

Happy to hear suggestions. IMG_7742.jpeg

I've polished a few cranks including M900 and M730. Nice thing with M730 ones is the "Shimano" logo is embedded vs the silk screened (I'm guessing) XTR logo.

In my polishing choices evolution I've found that after polishing I can go back with a 3M 3000 grit rectangular sponge type buffing product which bring down the mirror finish. More of a satin finish. I like it better, went back and dulled down all of my polished cranks this way.

One idea for you I guess. It would be great if someone would produce the SHIMANO XTR logo as just the letters in a kind of water applied decal but all I've found so far are small decals with a clear background which I agree do not look ideal.

Here's one of mine that as been polished and then dulled down to more of a satin finish, I'm satisfied with the outcome:

Bianchi Sika 10.jpg

They do look good. Far nicer than the polished up shiny ones that are always done.

I might have found someone who does water slide decals. So maybe those under lacquer would work

They do look good. Far nicer than the polished up shiny ones that are always done.

I might have found someone who does water slide decals. So maybe those under lacquer would work
I'd be interested to know where to get four water slides if you don't mind pointing me in their direction 👍

I've polished a few cranks including M900 and M730. Nice thing with M730 ones is the "Shimano" logo is embedded vs the silk screened (I'm guessing) XTR logo.

In my polishing choices evolution I've found that after polishing I can go back with a 3M 3000 grit rectangular sponge type buffing product which bring down the mirror finish. More of a satin finish. I like it better, went back and dulled down all of my polished cranks this way.

One idea for you I guess. It would be great if someone would produce the SHIMANO XTR logo as just the letters in a kind of water applied decal but all I've found so far are small decals with a clear background which I agree do not look ideal.

Here's one of mine that as been polished and then dulled down to more of a satin finish, I'm satisfied with the outcome:

View attachment 858875
Yeah, I did the satin finish on mine, much nicer than polished IMHO

Latest posts

Back