Best tyres for gloop?

bontrager-mud-x-tubeless-ready-tyre-40597.jpg

I've been suitably impressed with Bontrager Mud X tyres in the 1.8 guise. A couple of my colleagues also run the same tyres. The tyres cut though mud and do not clog in gloopy clay. Traction/breakaway is also predictable on firmer surfaces, unlike Panaracer SPikes etc which spit you into hedges when they get sketchie on firmer ground

CarrotCake":9yf1ujcp said:
I've been suitably impressed with Bontrager Mud X tyres in the 1.8 guise. A couple of my colleagues also run the same tyres. The tyres cut though mud and do not clog in gloopy clay. Traction/breakaway is also predictable on firmer surfaces, unlike Panaracer SPikes etc which spit you into hedges when they get sketchie on firmer ground
Mud X's get good reviews on loads of forums

I have a non retro Schwalbe Black Shark Mud 2.1 tyre up front, quite similar to a Mud X, it's awesome having grip in gloop, this year is the 1st time I've ever used a proper mud tyre & I'm now converted from using the same tyres all year round!

As for retro mud tyres, I ain't got a clue :LOL:

Onza Rip and Rail where a retro Mud tyre.

Panaracer Firce MUD 1.8 work well in the gloop, Andy and Chris can testify to that, but if you then hit small chalky stretches due to their 1.8 (measure 1.7") width they bounce around

Having looked in to some new tyres then there is the Bontrager MUD X mentioned htat get good reviews and also Panaracer Trailraker that get excellent reviews. Both these tyres are a few years old now (merlin have an offer on the Trailraker folding. I have tried neither.
BUT these spiky mud tyre are slow if you hit road, firetracks with no mud.
(I think these two are the better of the bunch)

The Fire MUD I have are actually quite fast on the road, though partially warn, but energy sapping as they buzz a lot. Worked fine in the snow as well, but hard ground and thin tyres means it hurts more.

Bloody light too :D

legrandefromage":144bfw2h said:
I was happy with the Big Tioga Factory XC and all that
I used Tioga factory MUDs last winter and loved them. It wasn't so much that they cut through the mud, it was more how quickly they cleared when through it

Back