Best square taper BB?

I've got an XT(72/73??) square taper stuck in the bottom bracket shell. I didn't want the frame as it was wrecked so i got busy with a disc cutter :twisted:
Now i've got the bb shell with little bits of chainstay/downtube/seat tube sticking out from it. I really should take it to work and use the engineering shop for a while to remove it :roll:

Haggis1978,

I can't believe you are asking this question when you already know the answer...

want a bb that will last 5 bikes lifetimes, Phil is the only candidate.

If you have trouble finding one, drop me a pm.

rody

I remember being highly skeptical of the "disposable" sealed Shimano BBs when they first became popular... I was very wrong indeed!

UN72/73 are unbelievably strong and will keep running smoothly for a considerable number of years even if constantly subjected to mud, salt water and grit.

A real fit and forget bargain - shame they've been discontinued, I hadn't heard that :( Still, I found a boxed NOS one in the shed the other day so I should be sorted for another decade on one bike at least :)

phil.wood.

took me 8 years of daily(i don't drive) use to kill my first one. the best, hands down

Attachments

• philbb 001.jpg
    philbb 001.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,725
  • philbb 002.jpg
    philbb 002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,725
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
sunchaser":2ahifj8y said:
UN73 ;) No need for anything more. Does the job & lasts ages :)

Still a Royce would be rather nice...

Went out yesterday looking for a cheap shimano bb for my Hei Hei and found a rather nice NOS Royce ti instead - couldn't resist it for the price

Chris H":177s6hgv said:
sunchaser":177s6hgv said:
UN73 ;) No need for anything more. Does the job & lasts ages :)

Still a Royce would be rather nice...

Went out yesterday looking for a cheap shimano bb for my Hei Hei and found a rather nice NOS Royce ti instead - couldn't resist it for the price

Nice...where did you find that :?: Now if there was another 68x110 I'd have it :LOL:

Alf Jones Cycles in Wrexham - he's moved shop and closing down his old one. It's an aladin's cave in the back of there - trying to get him to post some of the stuff on here. Yesterday saw a NOS Ritchey P22, NOS (I think) Tioga disc drive, NOS ceramic spins, heaps of NOS ritchey levers amongst other stuff - plus loads of used stuff .......

Back