Best race steel hardtail... ? ?

From 1986 to 1992,whatever Ned Overend was riding would be the best steel vintage racer, with the finishes to prove it ;)

Otherwise, there are at least five to seven excellent choices. The 90's was a tough time for steel. Try the late 80's, early 90's, and if so, go with a Fat City (Team Comp), Yeti (FRO), or Ritchey (Team Comp) :cool:

Retromtber":2umv7j5w said:
....in your opinion , what is the best retro race hardtail between say 92-99 ? and reasons why ??

In my opinion there's a noticeable difference in the ride of an early 90s race bike and a late 90s so it would be worth deciding which period you want before comparing frames.

That said by the late 90s steel race hardtails were a gretting pretty rare as aluminium was lighter and stiffer.

Personally if I was going early 90s I'd be leaning towards a Ritchey P bike as they were always at the front on at the world cups. Ride wise I prefer my DOGS BOLX over my Yo Eddy, but I've never considered a Yo Eddy a pure race bike.

Late 90s well the Kona Hot is hard to beat although I'd probably go for a top end Dekerf frame as the basis for a less common race build.

Yeti FRO for the BMX spirit, but days after days, I'm discovering the quality of this swiss handmade bike rides after rides :
The ferraroli !
tange prestige silver brazed lugs. Pérakis begun with that (but with a Cilo paintjob)

Back