best childrens retrobike?

tom l

Dirt Disciple
Hi have just got my daughter into biking and wondered what peoples opinions were of the best childs retrobike (thought I might kill two birds with one stone if you know what I mean!)
I am aware of the marin,trek and specialized offerings but wondered if anyone had produced anything abit more unusual bitd

If bitd goes to the 80's, there were a few options, many of which included 24" wheels in the rear or both front and rear. My ex-wife was about 5' tall, and I built up a few 80's bike for her- a pink 1987 Cannondale with 24 inchers in the front and rear (aluminum); a specialized stumpjumper, again with 24" wheels front and rear (steel).

Then there was the 1997 Independent Fabrication's "Special" (Steel of course), that was made with "female specific" geometry and a seriously sloping top tube, to the point that it looked like one with the seat stays; it had 26" spinergy wheels, and complete xtr m950 components. Loved that bike; it was a 10" frame, or something like that. Have pics of all of these; can post later.

Like nate states above, Fat City Cycles had small offerings, which continued with IF. Also, Kona has some very small sizes, as did Specialized. For a 90's MTB, you have many options, but getting a small 80's MTB is more fun, while being a bit more difficult.

Its not vintage, but I found a custom one off miniature titanium mtb at a bike swap a couple years back. Its a bit crude, but has some cool features.
I hope it rides 'normally'.

Needs a lot more to get it up and running, but here are a couple lousy pics.

d59ee90e.jpg

de2540e0.jpg

Back