Bar ends - yes or no?

See if you can find some onza alloy bar ends as they have very narrow clamps and will take less space, or go real retro with some internal wedge ones like syncros steerhorns or early onza wedge steel bar ends that take up no space at all as they bolt inside the bars (imagine a quill stem on either end of your bars)

Bar ends 'go' with flat bars, bitd, everyone who had an atb had flat bars and with that, bar ends. They helped with climbing as others said and other options for hand positions, myself I factor in hand protection, L bends effectively protect the hands from trees when bombing through the woods. I bitd had Specialized dirt rodz on my Saracen, and today I also have the same, but they are on risers, as I am not fasion conscious, but I will be going back to flat bars soon, as flats are more useful.But with that change I am going back to threaded headset that takes a quill, so handlebar height can be altered to taste. Aheadset, there are too many disadvantages for me and I put them in with the manufacturer labour and cost saving 'improvements' over the years.

azaro":3ga6qfm9 said:
Will be using flat bars.
Know that bar ends make them narrower, but they do give you that extra leverage/hand position option.
And it will be a rider, so thinking yes.
Decisions/decisions!!!!

I know all about bar ends I fitted and (still use) 17 years ago on my Explosif
and they wont be coming off.

FairfaxPat in the 17 years of riding with those bar ends I caught them maybe once.

Bitd I had bar-ends with flat bars. I rode this way for a couple of years then put risers on and removed the bar-ends.
A couple of years ago after quite a lengthy absence I tried the bar-ends again and just couldnt get on with them, the steering was all over when climbing,and the front wheel kept on lifting, my riding style I guess, but dont have the patience to alter it and go back.
Bar-ends stay in the box somewhere at the back of the garage now, out of harms way.

I remember those bar ends with the quill fitting. I had a set of onzas on my first clockwork.
Can you still get them? Not seen a set for ages.

Simonside resident":hnzmzzud said:
Bitd I had bar-ends with flat bars. I rode this way for a couple of years then put risers on and removed the bar-ends.
A couple of years ago after quite a lengthy absence I tried the bar-ends again and just couldnt get on with them, the steering was all over when climbing,and the front wheel kept on lifting, my riding style I guess, but dont have the patience to alter it and go back.
Bar-ends stay in the box somewhere at the back of the garage now, out of harms way.

Its your riding style/set up, bar ends do the opposite to what your experiencing.

azaro":1px60vu2 said:
I remember those bar ends with the quill fitting. I had a set of onzas on my first clockwork.

They haven't made them for some time now. Maybe it was because there were some cases of people over-tightening them and splitting lightweight bars at the time.

As with all barends you only do them up enough to stop them moving when in use. As usual though there are quite a few gorillas about that just tighten things until something gives way. :roll:

For me if it's a long ride I fit them, if it's off road I don't but as pointed out we all do things differently

azaro":2zviirdr said:

The Answer Hyperends I've just fitted to my Clockwork are a type of quill fitting. They're nice and tight + mean I don't lose as much bar width. ;)

Back