Bar ends yay or nay?

Minus style points?😲
You must be kidding🤣
View attachment 888365
On a bike with looks like that, you can afford to sacrifice a point or two, style for miles.
Also worth asking, is a bike built for the look, or the function? Do bar ends add function, allow you to ride harder, further? The only way they detract from a bike is if it's primary function is looks, getting approval from self appointed fashion police. Decide what you are building, and go for it. People will argue over style for an eternity

You guys are pushing me to reveal secrets from the basement lab with all the "fashion" talk. I'm working on a cockpit for an old steel frame, mid 90s geometry. 720mm, 31.8 clamp diameter, bar ends integrated into the grips.
IMG_20240928_080404032.jpg
I didn't want to lift up the sheet yet because I'm not convinced of the width. Cheap Wake bar so I can play around with the fitment, thinking about trimming 20 mm before I even mount it

I'm bringing this back on track. I did a little bit of fitting, they clamp solidly on Shimano levers thanks to two adjustment screws in the curved openingView attachment 888498View attachment 888496View attachment 888497
Won't they put a twisting force onto the brake leaver when you pull on them from the bar ends ?

I'm guessing this is primarily for long distance rides where you want a change of hand position but still be able to operate your brakes. Personally I only ever use my bar ends when climbing and if I'm going up I don't need to brake. If I was in the market for brakes I could reach from my bar ends I'd just fit a second pair of hydraulic levers to the bar ends and plumb them into the standard brakes via a double banjo bolt.

Latest posts

Back