Bar ends yay or nay?

I remember when my daughter was younger, but no less sarcastic, she asked why I called it "mountain biking" because there are no mountains where we live. She suggested "tree biking" cuz I kept running into them. Depending on the time of year, "swamp biking" might have worked. Either way, I only rode bar ends because everybody else did. In reality, all they did was hang on vegetation and threaten to puncture my liver every time I ran into the aforementioned trees.

Inner bar ends (there's an oxymoron for ya ... for Pete's sake, make up your mind) is a thing now, wifey is running them on both of her bikes and loves em. SQL makes a glorious system. Me, I just quit doing flat bars altogether. Jones opened up a whole new alternative reality, and I haven't looked back. I do keep a couple on hand, in the same box as my selle italia saddles, as props for photography ... but for riding? Oh please

Just mount them inboard either side of the stem on risers for attacking the climb, its surprising what you can conquer when you're able to stretch out.

Minus style points?😲
You must be kidding🤣
View attachment 888365
On a bike with looks like that, you can afford to sacrifice a point or two, style for miles.
Also worth asking, is a bike built for the look, or the function? Do bar ends add function, allow you to ride harder, further? The only way they detract from a bike is if it's primary function is looks, getting approval from self appointed fashion police. Decide what you are building, and go for it. People will argue over style for an eternity

You guys are pushing me to reveal secrets from the basement lab with all the "fashion" talk. I'm working on a cockpit for an old steel frame, mid 90s geometry. 720mm, 31.8 clamp diameter, bar ends integrated into the grips.
IMG_20240928_080404032.jpg
I didn't want to lift up the sheet yet because I'm not convinced of the width. Cheap Wake bar so I can play around with the fitment, thinking about trimming 20 mm before I even mount it

On a bike with looks like that, you can afford to sacrifice a point or two, style for miles.
Also worth asking, is a bike built for the look, or the function? Do bar ends add function, allow you to ride harder, further? The only way they detract from a bike is if it's primary function is looks, getting approval from self appointed fashion police. Decide what you are building, and go for it. People will argue over style for an eternity
Clearly both. It is an ironic rat clown build, non matching and out of style stuff mixed with some matching additions and catalog spec stuff. This frame outshines anything like that with it's massive amount of style, as good looking people can wear assymetric clothes, and it will only emphasise how good looking they are.
And i thought as i drink no alcohol, it was time to hijacking it and give it some 420 rasta vibes. There are a lot of these, as they were mass produced, but there is only one Rastakoram. Kara means black in ancient turkish btw, so naming is correct. If a bear valley can do it, i can do it too.
Function is to not let the foam grips slip off the bar, as these are a bit loose, and general purpose of barends, to give a bit more secure feel when riding, and some good resting position for the side of my palm

Cheers

Back