Bar ends yay or nay?

I raced extensively, at a very low level, throughout the 1990's, starting using them about 91 because everyone else was.
I always found them a great help, when dying going uphill on the bars then moving my hands to the bar ends gave me a new lease of life.
Perhaps even reaching the top without walking.

Bar ends (bards)? You bet! I use them whenever possible on the bike that I ride. The really tough thing is being able to find a design that is both ergonomic in design and has an opening at the end (like for putting a handlebar bar plug) to insert mount a mirror on.

I have some on my Marin, and love them!

Great for out of the saddle climbing, and for getting lower and further forward on the bars, resulting in a more hinged hip angle which in turn gives better recruitment of leg muscles.

For a mile munching cross country bike, I'd say give them a go!

Fwiw I don't like them on bars wider than about 580mm - which means (for me at least) they're pretty useless for any bike that's going to see spirited trail riding.

PXL_20240524_132546725.jpg

At a time when narrow handlebars were popular, bar ends allowed the rider to gain back some leverage on the bars to use a stronger muscle group for climbing.

I still think bar ends and brake boosters are hella cool. Notsomuch tie-dye or neon shoe laces, but it’s an indicator of an “enthusiast”.

Last edited:
Definitely around in the early 90s. I found they were essential for long rides for providing multiple hand positions, especially if touring (more people had one bike which did everything back then). The advantage for me in offroad hill climbing was enabling an even more stretched position so the front end wouldn't come up.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, I wasn't being critical. I don't know anything about your history, or health, should have read the first post better. I would say that for your type of riding, the main benefit of bar ends would be the extra hand positions. Being able to move your hands changes the way your body is working, can provide relief and comfort on longer road and gravel rides. Akin to a rider on the hoods or in the drops on a road bike
A very gentlemanly reply.

Bar ends (bards)? You bet! I use them whenever possible on the bike that I ride. The really tough thing is being able to find a design that is both ergonomic in design and has an opening at the end (like for putting a handlebar bar plug) to insert mount a mirror on.
I think the shortish ones with a slight curve at the top would be my preferred, giving the 90 degree angle and an extra one at the top of the curve. The big L ones seem excessive I think. I had those back in the day and don't recall the extra L extension being that much good as I remember feeling that it was pretty much the same angle as with hands on the bars, but just somewhat higher.

Though would be interested to hear if people have different opinions on that. It was a long time ago so no particular strong opinions.

Back