avoiding stuck seatposts.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
can anyone suggest a good way to prevent a stuck seatpost.
is it just a case of coating the post with some grease. or is there a proven method. i'm just thinking for in the future, and not wanting to go through this with any of my bikes.
after reading some horror stories, i think prevention is better than cure.

thanks in advance.

take it out when not using ?? Especially alloy post in steel frame.

but....a good greasing should suffice.

From playing with GTs the best thing is to USE THE CORRECT SIZE BLOODY SEATPOST ! Only one's I've had agro with where either too big and they've wedged em in or too small and they'd done the collar up so tight they'd bent the tube.

Anyway rant over, bit of grease !

Use copperslip anti-seize. Grease alone is not a good anti-seize, although it is better than nothing. Copperslip is grease with copper granules mixed into it, and it is the copper that prevents the chemical reaction taking place that causes galling. Plain grease doesn't do that.

As has been said, you also need a snug fit for the post in the frame to minimise seepage of moisture between the post and the frame. This also protects the frame structurally of course.

+1 on copperslip. That what I do but normal grease renewed evry couple oif months oes the trick to.

Moving the post regularly for me has stopped it seizing, never had a seized post. But then my riding style is drop the post when doing technical stuff and raise it when not and with that I am looking out for one of those Breezer springs for the seat post so I can just release the clamp and watch it spring back to my riding height, hopefully on the move instead of dismounting and looking for my ride height line scored in the post.

But of seat posts, don't see many 26.8 mm posts around now, at least not in the seat clamp design I trust.

I recently invested in Tacx carbon paste - a grease with something akin to talc in it.

It not only prevents seizure, the fine powder helps grip the post so less clamping force is needed, useful if you do not want to crush you light and expensive carbon post.

I'm normally sceptical but from own experience, it does help slippage but not had it long enough to comment about seizure prevention.

I recall from somewhere that copper and aluminium alloy is not a good mix hence coppaslip may not be ideal

Back