Avanti Aggressor 1993/Use for GT Avalanche/Hans Rey Tribute

JJW501

Dirt Disciple
Accidental purchase hunting for a parts bike, however it might be too good to bartardise.

DSCN0731_zps6katwlts.jpg

DSCN0734_zpsz1hegi6a.jpg

DSCN0732_zpsiz8bf1s8.jpg

DSCN0735_zpsfmzjht75.jpg

DSCN0736_zpsc2odll9e.jpg

DSCN0737_zpsjg6c2tco.jpg

DSCN0739_zpsebspmny3.jpg

I had a 1993 Avanti Montari, which was Avanti's base model with Alivio, and also my first mountain bike. I had the Avanti catalogue and spent many hours drooling over the higher spec models, so recall this model quite well.

Unfortunately I think I threw that catalogue out just a couple of years ago moving house! Dam.

Anyway, this bike appears to have a complete LX groupset intact. The rear rapid fire has failed, not sure if this is repairable? The shifter is integrated into the brake lever.

The Manitous look OK but the elastomers are cactus, as to be expected.

The wheels also appear to be original and straight.

Was looking to build a Hans Rey tribute bike for real trials use out of this old Avalanche frame. Yeah I know Hans rode a Zaskar, but I came across this cheap and thought it would serve the purpose.

Anyhow, I will do a complete strip and inspection soon, weigh up the option of restoring vs value of parts and go from there.

Jeffro

Re:

image_zpschcb6fko.jpg

image_zpsbermq0uw.jpg

DSCN0419_zpsijhldiqu.jpg

This is not intended to be concours......total cost so far under $200. I will need to source some new cables, a front brake cable bracket, grips, some fresh tyres, stickers, a wheel truing and some minor works. It will be ridden and there will be trials action, as best as a middle aged man can do! And wheelies. Lots of wheelies!

Jeffro

what's wrong with the rear shifter? Old rapid fire shifters commonly get gunked up with old grease and the pawls inside won't engage the ratchet- the levers will just move freely without any shifting. I had to take the lx's off my '93 karakoram and all i did was clean out the old grease and spray some silicon lubricant in there and mine are working fine now- give that a try eh?

Thanks for the tips...........I had a good look at the shifter.

One paw was stuck in the open position due to dry grease, and another had a small rock wedged in there.

Some brake cleaner, manual operation back and forth, and some new lube fixed the problem. It works like new. Just a few turns to get the derailleur working (it had been manually locked in 4th gear) and all was like new. Amazing how good this old gear is!

Still awaiting a few little pieces to get this bike completed, but it is inching forward.

Jeffro

JJW501":1t15itkk said:
Amazing how good this old gear is!

Jeffro

Thats what this whole site is all about!

But bear in mind the magazines have death waiting for you at every corner if anything on your bicycle is over 6 months old.

Back