"Aurora" Mountain Klein

Re:

Cleaned and waxed the frame over the weekend and mounted up the Suntour/Pedersen SE brake. What's the trick with these things? There's no spring to fit into the frame and the non-drive side doesn't seemed to want to spring back.

Also I was thinking about replacing the internal cable housing. Where can you buy it from and what's the trick to replacing it? IMG_5938.JPG IMG_5889.JPG

Last edited:
You can get the internal tubing on eBay, or from JonRock. What I did to replace the old liners was:

1. Pull them out.
2. Run steel cable through them
3. Insert them into the frame one at a time
4. Run a magnet along the tube to find the cable, then guide it to the exit hole. When you see the end, push some cable through so that it sticks out. From here you can get the liners fitted completely.

Re:

Cool, so what's securing the cable housing at the front of the frame? It is just a tight fit? Could not just glue one length to another and pull it through?

Also is it normal to have two separate sections under the BB shell?

At the end of the cable guides it is flared out to a mushroom-like shape. I don't think that you could glue one end to the other then pull it through, because the exit fits around the housing with no space for anything else. Also, it is normal to have two separate sections, because the Mountain Klein usually had U-brakes. I see yours has cantis.

Re:

Just a look at Jon's website and the photo of the cable housing only shows one end. Do they come flared or do you need to do this yourself? If you do; how's it done?

I used to flare them by rotating a drill bit in reverse in the end of the tubing.
Leave the inner cable in when you pull out the outer, then just thread the new outer over the inner. I think that's right, maybe you cut off the inner cable nipple first and thread it from that end?

I'd say to flare them by heating up the end with a match or a lighter, then dab it on some wax paper or something so that it's flared and the cables can still go through.

Re:

As Rampage said, if the inner cable is still fitted leave that in. Then from the end that exits the frame such as top tube rear brake, twist and push the cable liner/guide to help free it from the other end, the entry hole with the flared end. Sometimes when the cable liner/guide has been fitted for a long time they can be stuck but I've never had one that hasn't freed in the end.

Push it out leaving the inner cable in position then slide the new one over the inner cable and into the frame. All this is assuming your replacing the inner cable as well and have cut the nipple off. If your keeping the inner cable then just pull that out first and fit an old piece of cable of suitable length.

As for flaring, heat and use a pencil or pen to flare.

It's looking great so far by the way Caspar! :cool:

Re:

Good suggestions; thank you. I'll give them a try and let you know.

Fitted up the 130mm XC hub this morning (see below) but I'm running out of things to do as I have a serious shortage or parts and I suspect it's going to take a while to find them :roll: . IMG_5944.JPG

Last edited:
Back