1991 Klein Pinnacle (finished on page 25)

Are you sure you've swapped the frames??? ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜‚

What a great find! These swap meets sound dangerous, especially if you take money with you... ๐Ÿ˜œ

The paint looks amazing considering it's age and colour fastness of fluro paint ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜

Well, trying out that M900 RD sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole :LOL:

It got me thinking, wouldnโ€™t more M900 be even better? ๐Ÿค”

Realizing this frame is a 91โ€™ (apparently serial numbers moved to the bottom bracket on 92โ€™ frames, the serial number on my new frame is on the dropout) the 91โ€™ & 92โ€™ Pinnacle frames are basically built identical making M900 technically too new if I was worried about that.

Also, the Pinnacle is not top of the range but now that I have some minty factory Klein paint using M900 seems totally justified.

I also had a minty XT seatpost needing a new home and think it suits my new build better than the Syncros unit.

Iโ€™ve now got an almost full M900 build for the first time, only missing the headset & seatpost. Added all three XTR skewers, derailleurs, wheels, cassette, brifters, cranks & brakes.

I can always keep on eye out for a headset but really like the XT seatpost so itโ€™s staying.

Managed to get ahold of some NOS Ritchey dark ano rims. These rims are a bit new (around 96โ€™) but have that good olโ€™ Mavic style profile I was wanting and paired to M900 hubs look fantastic IMHO. I generally prefer dark ano rims against tan wall tires. I think Iโ€™m getting better at wheel building with about three sets under my belt now ๐Ÿ˜Š

A couple other minor tweaks: Klein chainstay protector & proper ALL white stem decals (no black outline typically used against paint which is not black which came with my previous frame decal set)

As with many M900 brifters 30 year old gummy internal grease required them to be fully rebuilt.

I had got the brifters back functioning using WD-40 and a toothbrush after removing the housings to scrub out the gummy grease. They felt like they could use some grease though so aided by Youtube videos took the plunge and completed a full rebuild of each shifter. I found a partially broken pawl in the front shifter. Luckly I have a set of DX brifters of the same era kicking around and stole a replacement part from it to replace the broken piece, see photo.

20241019_214942914_iOS.jpg
20241019_212121006_iOS.jpg

I have to admit that riding a full M900 drivetrain for the first time was very impressive. It doesnโ€™t just look great but really does live up to all the hype from BITD ๐Ÿคฉ

Klein Pinnacle 10-1.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 11-2.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 12-1.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 13-1.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 14-1.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 17-2.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 19-1.jpg

Updated build spec:

Frame: 1991 Klein Pinnacle, 19โ€
Fork: Spinner SCI

Headset: Campagnolo 1040/A
Stem/Handlebar: Klein MC1
Grips: Yeti Speed

Cantilever Brakes: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Cables/Housing: Jagwire Grey
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900

Shifters: Shimano XTR M900
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900 c/w Carmichael Titanium Pulleys
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire Grey
Cassette: Shimano XTR M900 12-32
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano XTR M900
Crank Bolts: Shimano XTR M900 Titanium
Chainrings: Shimano XTR M900 (46/36/26)
Bottom Bracket: McMahon Racing Titanium c/w SRP Bearings
Pedals: Suntour Superbe c/w XC Pro Cages

Hub Skewers: Shimano XTR M900
Rims: Ritchey Rock SC (32 Hole)
Hubs: Shimano XTR M900
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: 14g Stainless
Tires: Vittoria Freedom Duel HDC
Tubes: Generic

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Alpes (94โ€™)
Seatpost: Shimano Deore XT
Seatpost Binder: Shimano XTR M900

Weight: 23 lbs 6 oz

Klein Pinnacle 20-1.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 21-1.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 22-2.jpg
Klein Pinnacle 23-1.jpg

Stunning! ๐Ÿ˜ :cool: x2 mega posts full of lots of detail and pics. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ’ช Looks amazing and looks like it would be amazing to ride. You must be very pleased with this build?!
Most definitely pleased. I've owned and ridden this bike for a couple years now, it's a great rider. I wouldn't have gone to all this effort (or expense) if it wasn't such a great riding bike.

It's a keeper for sure ๐Ÿ˜

Back