Article on why bar ends disappeared from mountain bikes

They just look right on a nice retro XC bike. The worst thing I still see is riser bars, with the cross brace, and bar ends. It still makes me want to push the rider off.

I'm looking forward to fitting a set of ti onzas on my next build and also fitting the m950 remote shifter.

I am one of those that still puts the bike upside down for minor mechanical repairs or cleaning, so the bar ends help to avoid scratching the bar and shifters. It also saves scratching more expensive parts when leaning the bike against a wall. For longer rides it provides me with an extra hand position. I use them in bars up to 72cm wide. One of the reasons I wouldn't use a Jones bar or similar ones is that the backward sweep would not allow for bar ends.

Thank goodness I searched…..was about to start a thread about same question

Just today (worked 1/2 day) I took a ride and used my bar ends 4 times for somewhat hard climbs
And thought why my friends (new bikes(2021/2022 models) don’t have

Yeah longer bars…..meh
But I do agree with discontinuation of BE’s bc of new riding styles (no climbing/speed/plush ride)
Hell, I was looking on utube and couldn’t find a single vid of rough, precise, technical riding that always involves a ‘hill of life’ climb
Everything is downhill…..maybe 7-8 pedal revolutions for entire vid
And most take a ski lift/helicopter to get to top…..again…..meh

I saw one comment that said BE’s dangerous bc can’t have fingers on brake levers……..🤪
Please SOMEONE tell me when is last time u touched your brakes in granny gear going up a hill?

Personally ive never caught my bar ends on anything, they are good for climbing, and I ride mostly local trails,
I do not see the appeal of these trail centre's, so for me on my entirely retro fleet half of them have bar ends.
As someone else said modern width bars are the danger, horses for courses.
Like mainstream cycling saying 26 is dead, ive ridden 29 and 27.5 the 29 was not for me so unresponsive, I realised I would need to totally change how I ride and maybe to some degree where, which seemed daft so I started hoarding old bike and finding myself here.
I enjoy the old stuff the same, I always did! I think as a result I ride more technically aware , we have too.. so I actually have time to see the overgrown branches! I have been told by modern bike riders they can see me positioning weight, arms relaxed etc.. I can whilst energy permits hold my own, but they have it easier...!

They just look right on a nice retro XC bike. The worst thing I still see is riser bars, with the cross brace, and bar ends. It still makes me want to push the rider off.
I have been running a riser bar with welded cross brace and bar ends since 1996. Thankfully I didn't mount them for the social aspects, but because they are functional.

Back