Article on why bar ends disappeared from mountain bikes

I never used bar ends back when they were popular. I always thought bar ends created an increased risk of snagging, on a small sapling for example. Reading the article, it seems I'm not the only one to consider the snagging risk on narrow trails.

I ran bar ends, apart from the extra posisitions AND to look all upto date...I found that they were great at protecting the hands/bars from branches and stuff.
These days on modern bikes I dont run as the bars are a bit too wide too actualy reach them comfotably.

The article starts by saying no one uses them anymore and finishes by saying a lot of people still do. That aside, a couple of the posts above sum it up nicely, wider bars these days provide the extra leverage for uphills and also make reaching the bar ends harder. The fact most people just want to go down hill makes them also redundant for those users.

I still run bar ends on a lot of my bikes due to the narrow bars to aid in climbing. It is nice to have extra hand positions too for longer rides, though that is purely for comfort and not performance. As for catching them on things, only ever done it a couple of times over the years, and that is on trails that are very narrow, ones that you could not ride down on modern bikes as the bars would be too wide.

Yep, there is an Urban aspect to having them too. Personally I use segmented ones with a small frontal protection that
is angled in. Definitely saved me on a few occasions with cars, joggers, and what not just pulling out.

I loved bar ends, usually X-Lite stubbies and later Woodman carbon jobbies. My new project build is getting NOS Onza's.

al.

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_162944_896.jpg
    IMG_20210402_162944_896.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 25
Back