Are you more respecting in your old age ?

Biggest change I made with the acquisition of kids and mortgages is that I gave up riding on the road. It's just too dangerous in 21st-century Southern California. Being well past 5% of a millenium, I've also had to back off on the high speed rough stuff just to preserve what's left of my cervical vertebrae, distorted by so many decades of bending low over bars (as well as handlebars :D ). I guess I've slowed down, too, for two reasons. First, my unsprung old Ritchey can't come close to keeping up on fast and rough descents with the suspended new stuff. Second, the older I get, the faster I was, so I must always be getting relatively slower even if I were growing absolutely faster. I'm sure this concept is explainable by modern cosmology and multidimensional physics, but that stuff was invented after I gave up on learning.

I too have always been respectful of my bikes. I do ride them hard but I will always crash in a way to do more damage to myself than the bike- bones heal themselves but top tubes don't!

As for speed in general and risk taking? I certainly have not got any faster going up hills thats for sure. As for going down, my skills have improved over the years which has offset that devil may care attitude one has in ones youth; brain has replaced balls, so I guess i'm just as fast as i used to be. Risk wise, just the same really. Never been a fan of huge drop offs and will always measure each hazzard as it comes. There is no shame in walking a section!

In general we take less risks as we get older. Kids made a big change for me- not a consious thing, it just happens. When I was younger I had this burning desire to drive faster than anyone else- any car, any place I would push things well beyond the edge and have the scars to prove it. Back then it was the most important thing in the world for me. Now, although I still enjoy it, I don't take so many risks. Life takes on so many new dimentions as we get older and priorities change. We can still have fun, but I find pottering about in the garden or sitting out back with a good book just as enjoyable now.

My last fall put me off the bike for 3 years.I dont feel as confident riding about now either on or off road.
I had a clockwork then and did thrash hell out it,it was really comfy and felt like an extension.
My torus wouldnt stand up to the abuse the clocky went through and the Kona looks way too nice to risk :LOL:
:(

:shock: I need another 21" '99 slime green clockwork.

Anyone got one :D

Back