Are all crown races largely the same?

done this a few times recently - stanley blade to slowly lever them off, then PVP pipe to knock 'em back on :)
Just to note I would be VERY cautious in using a Stanley blade. They are very brittle indeed and small pieces can be very energic if you are levering something...flying swiftly and dangerously. Any side laod can cause fracture at any point in the blade. This is apparent in this context:

This has been one of the best tool investments I've made...

Park CRP-2

Certainly not inexpensive!.. I was fortunate to pick up a s/h one for less than half price. But a great bit of kit and the best way by far for crown-race removal I've found, especially if you don't want to damage the crown, paint, carbon fibre!

Cheers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
As most have said, races are fairly specific to the headset. Some work with each other, some don't. Bearing angles, sealing, height, diameter etc all play a part. Like someone else mentioned, there are some headset races that fit a king. Iirc, I found a split allot one I had spare fitted like a glove. I also have been known to cut a slot in a king race to make it easier to fit and remove. As bearings are sealed it doesn't make a difference.

Tools are a good investment if you think you'll use them. I've certainly had my money's worth on a few headset related tools. Headset press, headset cup removal tool, crown race remover, star nut tool. I used to use a custom blade for race removal, always worked. I inherited it from my granddad's tool box, it was a bit of thin but strong steel files into a blade at one end. It could slot under a race and used to wriggle and lever the race off. I also used to use a wide ring spanner to get the race in place with the help of a few taps from a hammer. It was wide enough to miss the angled area of the race and sat on the flat part. Worked fine but I've graduated to the plastic pipe method if not using a split race.

A lot of crown races will work well enough if interchanged, but may leave bigger gaps etc which isn't great for water ingress etc. It's worth a quick fit to have a look.

Missus' old kitchen knife does a good job - does not need an especially sharp edge. Helps if a bit flexy. I've simply pushed them on and then tapped them into place with glancing blows from a rubber mallet or a length of hard wood. But I've probably only installed around a dozen or so in my life.

Would have to remove/install hundreds or even thousands to justify some of the tools recommended in this thread. I appreciate a good tool as much as the next guy, but there are limits :D

Yeah I’ve got a press but I’m not spending £300 on a crown race remover - I’ll just take both forks to LBS and pay them £20 or what ever to swap them for me. I don’t want to trash one of the races and have to buy a new headset or something (I’m not the best when it comes to delicate things like this).

Thanks all though. I appreciate all the comments

£300 for a crown race remover? Mine was at least 95% cheaper than that. Not actually used it yet but it's there for when I will inevitably need it.

Latest posts

Back