Araya RM-17 concave rims...Now with pics!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

I have a wheelset with Araya RM-17 rims. Now I know that the rims are designed concave but wondering how to tell how worn they are. They came on a Team Marin I recently bought and the seller said that they needed replacing but I'm not so sure...They do have the concave but when running my finger over the braking surface they have a feel of lots of small ridges...does this mean they are worn or the opposite and that they are still showing the original braking surface?

Much appreciated

Doug

Re: Araya RM-17 concave rims...

wookiee":3a26c0ub said:
Hi

I have a wheelset with Araya RM-17 rims. Now I know that the rims are designed concave but wondering how to tell how worn they are. They came on a Team Marin I recently bought and the seller said that they needed replacing but I'm not so sure...They do have the concave but when running my finger over the braking surface they have a feel of lots of small ridges...does this mean they are worn or the opposite and that they are still showing the original braking surface?

Much appreciated

Doug

Doug - take a close up picture with a straight edge across the rim (radially) - it will help people advise you.

I'm pretty sure they had a single machined wear-indicator groove about a third of the rim depth from the outside radius...

...what you describe sounds more like general wear and tear :?:

Pics of the front rim...

Attachments

• RM17 front 1.jpg
    RM17 front 1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,392
  • RM17 front 2.jpg
    RM17 front 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,393
Pics of the rear rim...

Attachments

• RM17 rear 2.jpg
    RM17 rear 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2,385
  • RM17 rear 1.jpg
    RM17 rear 1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,385
Interested to know on these. I have a pair of these rims and they came from a bike that had little use, and they are similar.

My RM17s lasted fine - until the rear one suddenly went without warning.

Stupid design really... don't understand why they (or Campag) thought it was a good idea.

Back