Anyone need machining doing?

i believe in fixies":31df36d7 said:
Hex bar stock, a drill and a file.

Why not just hit it with a rock? :p I jest.

No 8mm hex stock on hand, so I cut some raw parts out of 6061 billet with one of our WEDM machines.

f663fcf4.jpg

The solution: just use the Brigeport mill.

A lathe is 3 basic components. The spindle/chuck which you clamp the work in which spins it, the tool rest, which hold the cutter, and the carriage which the tool rest is mounted on which moves in the Y (cross slide) and Z (cross feed) directions. There's more than one way to achieve the same results.

Broady will get a kick out of this:

6459a27d.jpg

For all intents and purposes the vise is the tool rest. The tool height is set with the Y feed, the X feed is the cross slide, and the quill feed is the cross feed (which I do manually). Now, I usually use collets for standard round stock but the hex forced me to use the drill chuck. I only do this with soft material, and take very small (.005) cuts as well, so there's negligible force. It works in a pinch for small Al parts.

Nice, I've had to do a similar thing myself, whilst I was moving workshops it ended up taking 3 weeks to get the lathes shifted but I already had the Bridgeports in place. Like you say, when you think of it logically there's not too much difference between your basic mill and lathe functions. Where theres a will theres a way!

Just finished a couple of replacement pivot bolts for a Psycle Werks Wild Hare:

Attachments

• photo_2.JPG
    photo_2.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,008
Mr Broady,
Please sir, is there any chance you can do me a 1&1/4" headset spacer please, 11mm thick.
Plain finish - will end up being painted black.
Thanks in advance!

any progress on sourcing Ti tubing for headset spacers ?
i'd be mighty interested in the 1" variety. ;) :D

Bloody hell this is fantastic. Wish I saw this early and what a great service. Is it only me who's had a craving for:

- a Middleburn UNO 94mm BCD spider
- a Middleburn UNO 74mm BCD spider

I know there's other options, but chain line and chain ring choice is important for SS ;)

Really, what I'm totally missing and I would appreciate a quote is for:

- a roady/touring Middleburn Triple 74mm / 130mm BCD spider

Let me know and perhaps other are interested!

Khane":2jvz21g5 said:
any progress on sourcing Ti tubing for headset spacers ?
i'd be mighty interested in the 1" variety. ;) :D

I have done spacers out of 6-4. they are cut from 3/8" billet plate. They take over an hour a piece to do. We're talking STUPID money. Not stupid money. STUPID money.

DSC_0082.jpg

Back