Anyone know how to open an FD-M952 Mech? To fit over a chain

Re:

I’ve got one same on one of my bikes and the cage kind of moves as the mech moves across. That’s why I assume there’s the spring and pivot not for splitting it apart

The M952 isn't meant to be split, it's design is outlined in the MBR review below. However they can be gender changed by swapping the cable actuator.

This is a review of the '04 FD-M952 derailleur with differential plate action. The two side plates of the cage move independently and are hinged at the rear of the cage.
Dramatic improvement in upshifting and downshifting over the rigid cage XTR '03 derailleur.
Shifting is lightning fast and never slips or skips on the chainrings.
It is noticeably quieter on upshifts and downshifts than the '03 XTR. The chain is literally lifted off the chainrings and dropped onto the next chainring.
In the non diff plate action XTR, like the FD-M953, you can feel the chain being forced against the chainring, and grinding into it when you upshift. I was disappointed in the FD-M953, which displayed no improvement in shifting performance over the XT derailleur.
The diff plate action also solves a nagging problem inherent in all conventional fixed plate front derailleurs; sluggish shifting or hanging up when downshifting to the granny gear.
I can be in the smallest rear cog, and it will instantly and silently downshift to the granny gear. You'll never use that particular gear combo, but try doing it with your current derailleur!
Upshifts are amazing silent and quick, without the grinding against the chainring to upshift as described above.
Another welcome design improvement is the angled seatpost collar mounting setup. This is a blessing for those with full suspension bikes, as it makes it so much easier to access the derailleur mounting collar allen screw head.
Also, the cable mounting clamp bolt is angled, making access much more convenient for those with full suspension frames and elevated chainstays.
Another improvement is a wider derailleur cage that makes chain rub almost nonexistent in those awkward chainring/rear cog combos. The older FD-M953 was a real pain with it's narrow cage. It really limited the gearing combos you could use with each chainring.
Shimano really did their homework on the new '04 diff plate derailleur!
Only problem is, it is currently available only in top swing configuration, which will not work with all frames, as mentioned above. If you can't use a top swing derailleur, you're out of luck.
It is quite a bit more expensive than their non diff plate action derailleur, but once you've tried it, there's just no comparison.
I'm hooked, and can't go back to the non Diff Plate front derailleurs.

Normally I never bother but I wanted this Marin to be similar to factory. My last two builds were 1x and honestly I prefer them

Looks like the inner and outer plates move separately, hence the hinged end.
I'd imagine the pin wil be flared after insertion during manufacture. Get a decent chain tool as others have said. You'll be glad you did.
I came from a generation that were told a bad workman blames his tools, but seriously, all those tools were absolutely s***

edit: oh, didn't spot second page with better explanation above.

Thanks. I did actually get a park tool for the job but I accidentally bought a tiny one and while it had a much better pin. It’s the “anvil” or plate I feel let’s them down when re-joining. And this was very poor. I will keep looking or buy a missing link

Back