Any ideas?? Warwick of Birmingham Pre-War

Wow....that's lovely. Well worth putting some time into.

North road bars suit it well. Does it warrant a shorter stem or do you need the extra reach?

Under £100? Probably best off buying a donor bike the way components sell for £££ these days

Thanks to Keith's advice went into Sherlock mode.

Based on this picture....

...looked into the name at the top of the window: Walter Bassett / Cycle Maker. In the 1901 census we have a listing for Walter 25 M Gt. Neph Birmingham, Warwick Cycle Frame Filer

So either he played his role down in the census or he moved up over the next few years to take over the building. Perhaps that's him in the doorway keeping a small child captive?

Attachments

• warwick6.jpg
    warwick6.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 260
Cheers and a donor bike is exactly what I did. I acquired the New Hudson with flat handlebars, short stem, later 3speed 26x1 3/8 wheels, matress saddle...
I bought a pre war Royal Enfield ladies bike (barn find) for £17 on ebay and transferred the handlebars, 26 x 1 1/4 wheels (fixed/free with wingnuts), leather saddle, and mounted a 50s lugged Dawes stem from the parts bin in the mean while. Slowly it's coming together as I intended - it will never be a show bike though.
I want it to look old ;) not too shiny. And I need the extension from the stem, I tried a 1" extension, but it was simply too short. I know they used to ride like that in the 1900-1930 period, I just didn't like it.

I found this btw on a sold ebay listing. Apparently it did become Warwick Birmingham, same logo.

KR, Rogier

Attachments

• the warwick birmingham.JPG
    the warwick birmingham.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 257
WOW....great find! So they do link.

Will have to look into this some more.

Please let me know if you find anything else.

Good news on the build! I think Patina makes these more desirable so be sure to upload pics when you're ready.

I'm naively looking for a donor with Lauterwasser bars at the moment

Naively looking for a Lauterwasser donor :LOL: I guess I am naive too ;) but sometimes you get lucky!

Talking about lucky, do you still have the CB? Double fork crown?
I think you were the one pointing me to this forum back then...

Yep, still got it and love it. Just can't work out whether to completely respray it back to original doing my own pinstriping and everything. Have just primed it for now.

I want to triple check the CB diagnosis before I badge it up.

Re:

Someone mention Lauterwasser handlebars and long stem?

Attachments

• WP_20141024_11_08_51_Procompressed(1).jpg
    WP_20141024_11_08_51_Procompressed(1).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 194
What a shame.....they look a bit bent! Would you like me to take them off your hands?

Well done - great find! Don't tell me they were a bargain!

I was considering this el cheapo alternative but not convinced.....more north road than lauterwasser

Attachments

• $_57 (3).JPG
    $_57 (3).JPG
    56 KB · Views: 177

Latest posts

Back