Any ex. WASPS (Marshalls Cycles) riders here

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
WASPS as in Welwyn and Stevenage Pedalers

The club run by Marshalls cycles, used to meet at Stevenage rugby club and then Bragbury End on a Tuesday evening, I think the rides moved to Welwyn golf club after which I lost touch.

bump .. sliding down out of site :?

There must be someone else on here apart from me that rode for WASPS around the mid to late nineties. Had a big race team and large club following, names I remember off the top of my head: Gam, Big Frank Waller, Nigel Deards & Son, Chris Bray, John Cobb, Outback (NZ), Steve Perry, Dean Thomas (from the shop), Gav Baker, Gill Butterworth, Sarah Dyson, many many more ...

Found one online - Chris Bray - riding in a team at Dusk 'til Dawn in October, must be more out there.

i used to ride all the time with wasps (still a member now)
i used to lead the fast group rides when we moved to panshanger
frank waller died 5yrs ago(drowned scuba diving :( )

Shame about Frank :( , he was a great bloke. Since my original post I have bumped into Tony Timberlake a couple of times, he is as fast as ever even though he is now 65 yo. Chris Bray is as charming as ever and uses MTB riding to keep fit for motor racing.

I remember Frank at the Marshalls WGC shop, he filled the mechanics sandwiches with soap out of the wall dispenser and put them back in his lunch box . I also have a picture of him taken at a race at Tewin Water, he is pushing a bike back to the arena with its seatpost bent back almost touching the rear tyre. He was on the large side but also a larger than life character.

I may know you then? I stopped riding with the WASPS crowd while they were still at Bragbury End in 97ish? Chris – rode a silver Parkpre, mates with Gavin who rode a GT STS, which if my memory serves me correctly was one of Franks old bikes.

RIP Frank, it was an honour to have known you.

Couple of pictures I have posted before, both taken at Tewin:

wasps_568.jpg

splash_146.jpg

i am always in the shops (tony)
i won maybe 3 series in advanced etc.. categories.stopped racing in 2003ish and concemntrated on freeride/shore stylee

Are any of the old crowd still involved with WASPS? I have been to the WGC shop a couple of times and enquired of Steve Marshalls whereabouts but they don't see him much :LOL:

nah, rode with piers and nigel a bit.see rentakill in shop sometimes. havent seen gam etc....steve and sarah i see still

In the second picture above Piers is the rider on the left following me into the river. Steve & Sarah are still together, wow, must be a record. Steve's sister and her husband (Stan?) used to get involved with the club events and awaydays, I did the South Downs, North Downs & Woburn rides. Stan was the St Johns Ambulance man at the races, he patched me up a couple of times.

Back