Another Manitou 2 question

Ian1

Devout Dirtbag
Okay, I've got them apart now but they only have elastomers in one leg. Is this right? According to the manual they should be in both legs.

The next, obvious, question is where can I get new elastomers? Are "Suspension Fork Parts" in the USA the only place to get them?

Thanks you,

Ian

I've just refurb'd mine - I put a 'Wings' spring set in mine (heavy duty because I shall never be a racing snake again :oops: ) and they're brill... :cool:

When I took them apart there was a spring with an elastomer in it as a damper, an elastomer above that and a rebound damper at the top - in each leg.

The Suspension Parts kits look pretty good and I shall be rebuilding a Manitou IV with them...

Do the Wings kits have rebound on them or is it just a bouncy spring? They would appear to be a viable alternative.

Yes, technically it's just a bouncy spring, but I have the heavy duty ones for riders up to 220lbs (yeah, I know... :oops: ) so they don't exactly 'bounce.'

Get the correct spring rate for your weight and they're fine - if the people who complain about them being an expensive pogo stick used a little thought they wouldn't be disappointed!

Mine are certainly a darn site better than the fancy rigid fork they were before! ;)

SouthCoastRetro":fi6y33hk said:
+1 for the Wings, just be a bit careful when you put in the upper spring, it can need a tiny bit filed off but no biggie.

+1 on that , it might go in with a push , but it aint comming out again :LOL:

i made a mandrel up and cylindricaly ground the diameter down a mill or so

Eh? Wot? Words of one syllable for the sleep deprived please?

Does this imply that you have a top-out spring in yours? I have just a 4" spring in each leg with a delrin collar to locate it. With my weight/spring rate they're spot on, but they will top-out with a bit of a clunk when the front wheel clears the ground...

BTW: that link Ben put up on the Mag 21 thread is invaluable! Have you tried drilling your lowers for the air-damping effect?

Back