And today I did......

Had an terrible afternoon- more car related trouble. :cry:

I've spent most of this week refitting the engine and ancilaries back into my Alfa Giulia. I've spent every spare hour of the last six months building that engine- best of everything up to full race spec. I can't bare to look at the bills it's wracked up.
Anyway, this afternoon it was ready for starting. Checked everything again for the fifth time, turned it over with the plugs out to get the oil pressure up, plugs back in, checked for a spark, switched the fuel pumps on and cranked it over. Race motors don't like starting but eventually it coughed into life- happy days. No leaks, everything just as it should be. Made a few adjustments to the carburetors- smashing, big grins all round. Ran it up to 3-4,000prm a few times- no problem. Then a rattle quickly followed by a bang and flames out off the carb trumpets then it stopped. Fuel dripping out of the carbs caused a small fire which was quickly extinquished.

Checked everything and tried to restart it but nothing. Cam covers back off to find that there were huge clearances between the cam and followers. No compression. Result? Bent inlet valves and probably broken pistons. Gutted!

I think I have made a mis-calculation somewhere. The valve to piston clearances were very very close but I thought it would be enough. Obviously not.
Can't pull it apart until monday now as I'm out riding tomorrow.
Will be under a very black cloud this weekend.

Major bummer sorry to hear that, makes me feel bad about getting stiffed for £12 to replace a bulb at my mot yesterday.

I was going to replace the old banger with a camper van so I could take the boys out at the weekends but the wife wasn't to keen and tbh neither was I when I saw the prices of them :shock:

today i took a photo of my new home-made disc mount on the marin :D

IMG_2015.jpg

think i'll paint it red to match the frame (got to get rid of this bloody gold bug) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

clockworkgazz":i822qb9m said:
Looks great eck your a star.

aye , a mon-star :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

looks like it should be there so i'm happy wi that :D theres a guy wi a b17 in the 1998 bikes that looks to have the proper mount so ave asked him for a couple of pictures o it :cool:

Fitted a new Brooks seat to the KamoKlunker :)

newseat.jpg

And a set of Gills superb stickers to the Clockwork, 93 spec ones though as i prefer these to the 91 versions.

stickers.jpg

Clockie does look good and totally understand where your coming form.

Picked up the car, speedy repair by the local garage and not as bad as I thought. Another bonus for having a common car is parts are plentiful and cheap :) Needed a new water pump and belt as well.

Just been for a run and now I need to pop down the street and find a mothers day present :?

Back