And today I did......

Si, your missing the point, I know old car races are fun but if technology didn't move on then there wouldn't really be old cars from the point of view of tech, just old from the point of view of age. You enjoy riding your Klunker but you admit its heavy and the brakes are rubbish and if you were content with this you would not have your modern bike.
So why get yet another steel bike, it wont do anything better than another great steel bike, why not dip your toe in the new tech on the block, why not give carbon a go ;)

Rumble":28xm0boo said:
That's true, I still remember a historic F1 race I went to as a kid. The noise was incredible but the most vivid memory I have is the smell. Modern racedays just don't smell like that.

Aahh, Castrol R, mmm.

Great smell. When I first started racing 100cc karts I used Castrol R in the petrol for the 2-stroke mix. Silkolene did a similar smelling oil.
Usually mixed 2 gallons for a race-meeting and the left-over mix I sometimes put in my car to use it up. Driving with sun-roof/windows open I could smell the Castrol R, lovely.

That's a bit sad, isn't it? :oops:

velomaniac":13l2pmay said:
Si, your missing the point, I know old car races are fun but if technology didn't move on then there wouldn't really be old cars from the point of view of tech, just old from the point of view of age. You enjoy riding your Klunker but you admit its heavy and the brakes are rubbish and if you were content with this you would not have your modern bike.
So why get yet another steel bike, it wont do anything better than another great steel bike, why not dip your toe in the new tech on the block, why not give carbon a go ;)

Because after 25 years of riding bikes I knows what I likes. I have tried a carbon bike, I've owned steel, titanium and aluminum bikes, but prefer the feel of steel.

Not all the steel bikes I own are the same. They have different jobs to do. My Cotic Soul is back to fully rigid, singlespeed with large volume tyres- ideal for that quick hour along the riverside singletrack on a sunday evening. Its light, fast, whippy and simple. The 29er I'm building for myself will be for longer, all day rides on the moors and hills, and will probably get an Alfine 11 speed rear end for winter mud abuse. The latest adition, a Cotic Bfe is for bigger stuff- trail centre black routes and Thrunton suicide missions. It's replacing the Soul as I've been pushing that frame beyond its design capabilities over the last few years. It has the same geometry, but is built stronger to take more abuse.

For really big stuff, I've got the alloy framed full suspension Spitfire, although its overkill for my abilities.

So although i have steel coming out of my ears, each has a specific role and a totally different character.

Fair enough but we're not advising you as to what bike frame to consider, original poster was Kaiser. I reckon K should try the On-One 456 Carbon over a steel bike just because he can then he can decide whats best instead of going for another steel bike no matter how nice. You Si have ferrous blood poisoning and its frankly incurable :LOL: ;)

velomaniac":f289mshw said:
Fair enough but we're not advising you as to what bike frame to consider, original poster was Kaiser. I reckon K should try the On-One 456 Carbon over a steel bike just because he can then he can decide whats best instead of going for another steel bike no matter how nice. You Si have ferrous blood poisoning and its frankly incurable :LOL: ;)

Yes, I understand that, but you did ask me in the post above why I don't move with the times and consider newer technologies.

If Kaiser wants a carbon XC bike then cool. The price is fantastic and it's a good looking frame for sure (Dr S in On One appreciation shocker!). It's just on a personal level I don't trust my riding skills enough to make the leap to plastic bikes. For me, steel will always be my own favourite material.

Si

They said that in the Bronze Age Gaz, now look where we are, should've stuck to stone if you ask me, off back to my cave now once I've clubbed a sabre tooth rabbit for my tea :LOL:

All good points :) anyway decided to stop buying bikes till I finish the ones I have. I implicitly trust carbon BTW, been using carbon products for donkeys years without a break and whilst not conclusive for the populace its proof enough for me. The thing that might have swayed me was the resale value, second hand carbon does not fetch much and the cotic would.

Si's synopses of his own bikes made me ponder mine. I still have some mods to do to the fire eye which will make it the trail centre bike, the Vicious is now my singlespeed of choice, the Kona 29er will be getting an all day comfy make over, the Kona King will be getting lightend for endurancey type things and the Salsa is the odd peg and I might try to sell it again if I can get my finger oot.

Velo I will probably be buying some carbon rims for the road bike if its any consolation :)

Back