stanley gibbons or sandyfare , pick a side

mikee":2pkkuby0 said:
never been on retro stamp john ?

ohh my ,you havent lived , i remember the big arctic circle first day issue
forgery
, a digital blood bath
and dont mention the concorde first day covers

stanley gibbons or sandyfare , pick a side

That seems to ring a bell, was it because the guy that was supposed to post the first day issue didn't post it from within the Arctic Circle?
He'd been out the night before on the piss in Reykjavik, slept-in and missed the collection on the only part of Iceland that is within the Arctic Circle, a wee island to the north, and just posted them in the nearest post office hoping naebuddy would notice. Poor basturt never posted another letter.
This may be just a load of pish. ;)

It is, if ye didnae guess. :p

no
it was part of the joint services north peary land expedition in 1969
they did some first day cover post cards , captian morris jessup signed them , i have one , but there was forgeries floating about
the front of the cards were of an ice chapel in thule in greenland

i can do pics of it if you want

mikee":1ayafexr said:
no
it was part of the joint services north peary land expedition in 1969
they did some first day cover post cards , captian morris jessup signed them , i have one , but there was forgeries floating about
the front of the cards were of an ice chapel in thule in greenland

i can do pics of it if you want

Please do. The postcard I've seen doesn't appear to have been signed by anyone. Not saying the one you have is a forgery. :cool:

By the way, I can tell the difference between a plain blank, white postcard and a chapel in the snaw.

john , hook line and sinker mate

however backatcha :LOL:
P1040055.jpg

P1040054.jpg

:LOL:
and you think i gibber plausable pish

No hook, line or sinker involved on my part, I was, I thought going along with your venture into the telling of fishy tales but I should have known better, it was too plausible.
Little did I know you actually had the postcard in question or are better at Googling than me.
This was as far as I got to keep the thread going, was trying to watch the rugby, Munster were giving Edinburgh a shoeing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARCTICA-1969-GR ... 0714274086

Is the card in your possession one of the forgeries, as there seems to be a discrepancy between the spellings of Jessup's name on the postcard. :? :p

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
genuine as far as i know
my mother was a civvy in the raf at the time
kap jessup was one of the "dandys " on the base my mother worked
i met him a couple of times big sort of "biggles "type bloke .i was 7 or 8 at the time so he might have only been 5'2 ,but you know what i mean
drove a corvette stingray

Back