And today I did......

old_coyote_pedaller":2y8iqykg said:
I'm still not sure if I'm being whooshed. :facepalm:

Going by the off the wall stuff you and yer laddie come out with though, mmm. :roll:

No! No this time am gen up :oops:

Mikee sun a Bighairy arse that we both know sold me one set.
The other two Im not to sure about, one set for sure off RB the
other maybe Ebay :roll:

RobMac":1f8yvf0l said:
old_coyote_pedaller":1f8yvf0l said:

Going by the off the wall stuff you and yer laddie come out with though, mmm. :roll:

hmmm "big hairy arse " .... wasnae scouse was it ?
dunno not a lot to go on there .......

Whats the travel on the girvins Rob?

Got the tazmon nearly complete :D just a BB to get along with a front mech and chain/cassette
Ive set it up using 21 gear stx shifters/rear mech,alcera wheels, basically most of what was on the marin.
Probably the lowest spec ever on a santa cruz :LOL:
Couple of weeks it will be ready :D

mikee":24l4qjv1 said:
RobMac":24l4qjv1 said:
old_coyote_pedaller":24l4qjv1 said:

hmmm "big hairy arse " .... wasnae scouse was it ?
dunno not a lot to go on there .......

No not a scouser, a bit closer to home in fact just across the watter :LOL:

And D-Ti its not so much the travel but the lack of weight, the lastomer ones are lighter than a steel fork and stem combined. As for the travel I think it only a couple of inches approx. Ive not weighed the pair with the coil over shock yet.

Another piece of the jigsaw arrived this morning. A lovely condition XT front hub, for the glorious price of £5.50 :shock:

Once the rear gets here I need to start considering getting my wheels built.

And does nobody leave feedback anymore? I always leave it whether I'm buying or selling, both of which I've done a lot of in the last couple of months, but only had a couple of feedback posts back.

RobMac":2edz44re said:
And D-Ti its not so much the travel but the lack of weight, the lastomer ones are lighter than a steel fork and stem combined. As for the travel I think it only a couple of inches approx. Ive not weighed the pair with the coil over shock yet.

Rob, I vaguely remember something about the way these forks were supposed to work, might have been in a MTB mag article or bumph in a Girvin advert.
When the wheel hits a bump the path of the hub is backwards then upwards in an arc.
Girvin thought this was a good design feature, don't know if it's a load of pish. Anybody else recollect this as well, or is it just me?

old_coyote_pedaller":3nv9zshu said:
RobMac":3nv9zshu said:

Rob, I vaguely remember something about the way these forks were supposed to work, might have been in a MTB mag article or bumph in a Girvin advert.
When the wheel hits a bump the path of the hub is backwards then upwards in an arc.
Girvin thought this was a good design feature, don't know if it's a load of pish. Anybody else recollect this as well, or is it just me?

true
It's how an engineer deals with the problem of rocks and bumps,theirs is the logical approach as seen in Amp forks and Spesh FSR[again another horst link]
A little disconcerting if youre not used to it :LOL:

Girvins are just lightweight moderm materialed girder forks as sported by all motorbikes before BMW invented the telescopic fork. Nothing new or exciting really. Hub travel is as described and does work but system involves multiple pivots that must be all lubed and kept tight to stop play otherwise you'll get bad handling from torsional effects and possible failure. Telescopic forks are simpler, potentially stronger and just plain superior but Girvins just look cool :cool:

Latest posts

Back