And today I did......

steve , no that was a bargaintastic frame and fork i got from coomber
it needs painted ,and i might get it done ,but kinda like its "patina" scruffyness

Got a turbo saddle :cool:
Its bloody perfect for the Rudy and replaces the rolls i was going to use :D and it looks much more in keeping with the period :cool:
Just XT flatties to find but ill be damned if im spending any more that a tenner or twenty quid on them :?
And then of course some clean skinwallls

So THAT'S why Magura call it 'Royal Blood'... :oops:

New (long enough) hoses and a bleed for the JT Maguras for the Moho.

Changed the cranks on the Zaskar, had bother with the gears at Drum, discovered the chain line was out, why was the chain line out ?, because the tapers on the lovely White industries cranks were knackered :roll: , these replaced the previous W.I cranks i had on it which were creaking (knackered tapers funnily enough), these new ones were creaking too, tightened them, still creaking, tightened them more stopped creaking, discovered drive side crank arm hitting the chain stay yesterday :roll:

Anyhow, lovely L&M cranks on it now (had these reserved for the Orange E3), seems to be working ok, chain line restored, clearing the stay etc, see how long they last until they join my big pile of scrap square taper cranks (i kid you not, i realy do have a big pile of scrap cranks, will post a pic when i get the time)

I like Retro bikes, i can live with Canti's, but square taper cranks (and threaded headsets) suck big time :roll:

Funnily enough my WI square taper cranks are buggered at the tapers too.
They must have used too soft an alloy compound when they were made. Never had an issue with Shimano, Sakae, Sugino, Truvative or stronglight to name but a few square taper cranks I've employed.
Splined BB's grip the cranks better without issue but have more frequent bearing failures.
Reluctantly I must agree with the modern world concerning oversize bearings mounted outside the shell with hollow splined axles. I however will stick with square taper :LOL:

Today I got the wee car working so now its make an appointment at the garage for a service and fitting the replacement drive selector cables. I know this should be in the motor section but that would mean a new post and I did do this today ;)

mikee":3uawoz6p said:
what you gonna do with the rolls andy ?

Swop it for something ;)
I need a pair of skinwall tyres in V.nice condition[got tread/no cracking/clean skinwall's [cleanish]]

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm another fan of old fashioned square taper cranks. I usually stick to shimano and can't recall a problem. As for modern systems, I'm on my fourth 'quality brand' ISIS bb in just over two years. Even worse is the external bearing BB on the Mythic: I'm using a new E13 crankset and BB. It has done the Big Weekender and two laps of Thrunton in the month since fitting. All three were largely dry rides and bike has been washed once (no pressure washer). Returned from a weeks hols to find cranks siezed. Freed them off but bearings are scrap. :evil: On fitting I thought the bearing seals looked crap. I'm now waiting for replacement bearings.

Bring back suare tapers! The bearings on my Fat Chance Wicked BB are now 24 years old and still as smooth as silk.

Si

Not used square tapers for 20 years now, my bulleye bearings lasted 16 years (with only re-greasing) and I've been through 5 sets of hollotech bearings in the last 4 - Hope bearings have lasted the longest but as a test my next bearings will be the superstar hollotech taper bearings, apparently the side load issue with hollowtech is resolved by these.

Back