And today I did......

Cut up a drinks can and shimmed my still slipping seatpost/shim combo on the Mary. Feels much better now, hopefully that'll do the trick for K'tree.

Washed the Mary and the Stumpy, tightened the headset up on the Stumpy. Did a half-arsed job of straightening buckled back wheel on the Rockhopper, but got the worst of it out... need some narrow innertubes and then the conversion to drop bar Kerbhopper shall begin.

velomaniac":329nvk11 said:
Also frame pretty much the same as Zaskar of that period :shock:

Some get passed off as Zaskars due to the flat cap on the rear of the top tube, the Zaskar is 6061 alloy, Pantera is 7005 (or 7001), Zaskar is handmade in the USA, Pantera is made in the far east, you'd still fool people if you stripped the paint off, polished it up and whacked some early Zaskar stickers on it though :)

I wouldn't do that :shock: what do you take me for :LOL:

Anyhoo, arguably Pantera's are rarer in the UK what with the glut of imported Zaskars :roll:

What I mean is all the Zaskars people have bought from the states since they became classic/desireable over and above those that were officially imported ;)

I've been acquiring a bike's worth of componentry over the weekend to build my modern Dahon aluminium folder frame up into a bike that is otherwise an early nineties steel mountain bike...

- flat black bars
- Mountain LX shifters and levers
- STX-RC chainset and mechs
- Ritchey Grips
- 7 speed cassette on Mavic X221 wheels
- Tektro Vs
- a suspension seatpost ( :oops: hey, it was only a tenner from the LBS and the selection was poor)

Now I had vowed to strip Tufftrax 2 for the components for this frame, but T2 is in Edinburgh and I couldn't really wait... is that so bad?

Off out to garage now to strip down a pair of forks cannabilised from a Raleigh Amazon, from a frame so large that I can cut off the threaded bit (it is 1 1/8th) and still need headset spacers.

Busy birthday boy today getting ready for 1,500 mile round trip to Le Mans. Spent the day checking over the car, did the suspension geometry and after lots of ramp, tape measure, bits of string, spanners, knuckle skinning and swearing I finally got it all spot on and cured the terrible bump steer that has blighted it since the rebuild (bump steer is when you hit a compression in the road whilst cornering and the car steers several feet into the other lane on it's own). I then re-bled the brakes, changed all the fluids, fitted the Air filters and gave it a good polish with some fancy Swissol polish that I blagged off a sales rep (I won't be buying it at £100 per 200ml pot :shock: )
Just got to pack my bag in the morning and I'm all set for Le grande adventure. Going to collect a Ruby now and crack open a few beers.

Back