And today I did......

had a bit of maintenance disaster, noted my front mech on the kinesis was needing some attention (feck'n hate front mech's)

anyways, decided to do it properly and treat it to a new cable. the down tube barrel adjuster had seized so gently, and I emphasis gently I went to turn it with a pair of grips and it instantly snapped leaving the threaded portion inside the frame. much sweating, tears, swearing

realise I have the inline adjuster option to recover the adjustment situation.... BUT would like get the barrel adjuster working again

SO.... any ideas how to remove the thread?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Agree with that Andy. I've found that in the smaller sizes, like grub screws, that the extractor as it bit in expanded the screw I was trying to get out and tightening it in it's threads.

Re:

Never been a fan of this type of extractor and the cheaper ones usually cause bigger problems than they solve - they tend to be very hard and brittle and therefore snap very easily indeed. That leaves you with a super hard thing stuck in the middle of the softer thing you were trying to extract and makes drilling it out even more challenging than it would have been in the first place!

I'd personally just carefully drill down the centre of the snapped bolt and finish with a tap of the correct size and pitch. Seems a bit more daunting than these things but actually more likely to have a happy ending...

Re: Re:

ajm":1shy5lft said:
I'd personally just carefully drill down the centre of the snapped bolt and finish with a tap of the correct size and pitch. Seems a bit more daunting than these things but actually more likely to have a happy ending...

desirable solution, but not possible

the centre of the barrel adjuster boss is only ~10-12mm away from frame, no room for a chuck :?

I'm thinking that the stuck barrel adjuster has enough of hole to tap in the tool and turn with a shifter as per 3min 28secs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts the steel on the barrel adjuster seems soft enough....but the possibility of breaking the tool, especially if i go along the cheap tools route does scare me as it would give me a bigger issue.. where as I could just bung on inline barrel adjuster on the cable

DSCN2352 by gmac123, on Flickr

Re:

Ah right, I see the problem... I think if the screw extractor method failed for me and I really couldn't live without a barrel adjuster there I'd consider cutting a very thin slot in the boss as a last resort. Even a very narrow slot would probably be enough to get penetrating fluid in where it matters and provide enough play to get the bolt moving. It would quite possibly also still function OK with a new adjuster threaded in and if not the slot could probably be "repaired" with JB Weld or similar.

Having said all that, I think I'd probably just live without the barrel adjuster!

Couldn't you just go in from the other side with a normal 3mm or 2mm drill held in the side of mole grips. After giving it a good soak. Give it quarter turn, withdraw repeat etc?

Re:

I'd try a dremel and then tap out the remainder. Should be OK, worst case scenario is you strip the threads but you could still fit an adjuster even so.

Back