And today I did......

gmac123":23b9ts2a said:
currently deliberating a new set of road wheels, will today be the day that I finally make a decision??

I'm also deliberating new wheels...and a new bike but the fun sheriff she say no :( need to sell before I buy anymore.

a step in the right direction mikee, try pulling a bike out next week ;)

good logic TK

kaiser":3vvr6bc7 said:
gmac123":3vvr6bc7 said:
currently deliberating a new set of road wheels, will today be the day that I finally make a decision??

I'm also deliberating new wheels...and a new bike but the fun sheriff she say no :( need to sell before I buy anymore.

wheels this year, groupset to campag next year and a frame the following :LOL:

the fun police isn't getting the full truth, been sitting on my vegas winnings for some time now. I want something stiff & light, I've been deliberating over

a) carbon/deep section
b) custom build route
c) or a set of the benchmark ksyriums

think I'm about to take the plunge on the ksyriums

Re:

Which ksyriums? - I have a set (not for sale) and I like them but they are heavy and overpriced compared to others - tough as nails though.

looking at the elite s, at 1.5Kg they seem as light as anything else with a reputation for being stiffer. my current wheels a flexing and rubbing when I've got my lardy ar$e outta the saddle

Re:

Have you considered the new Dura Ace? Good price on CRC just now. Recommended everywhere I seem to read whereas Mavics are so so.

mine are the older elites, nearer 1800g, Mavics do seem to overcharge for what you get. Friend recently bought some fulcrums (quattro's I think) - cheaper end but seem pretty good for the money.

Ok i know i dropped the ball a wee bit with the Apollo frame although in the flesh its nicer than many Raleighs i've had from that era if a wee bit heavy. To redress the balance I also bought this:

$_57 by stefsmif_velomaniac, on Flickr
Carrera Krakatoa, early 90's, Reynolds 500 chromolly frame and fork, lighter and more mtb purposefull than the Apollo, nice shade of metallic red but scruffy decals that I'll probably leave on. Hopefully ride this one a bit around my trails where it should be ideally suited.

Re: Re:

kaiser":24rv1ydc said:
Have you considered the new Dura Ace? Good price on CRC just now. Recommended everywhere I seem to read whereas Mavics are so so.

aye, have taken the DA 9000 C24's & the RS80's both into consideration, however with a future campag groupset conversion in mind the mavics seem more flexible. across the net the mavics get great reviews from the press and Marmite reaction from the punters. personally I've had a few sets of mavic wheels and loads of wheels with mavic rims, and nothing really to complain about

Oh well, holiday over. A lovely sunny week in Wales, unfortunately without a bike.
Kept passing all the mtb meccas as well. Could see the Antur Stiniog trails from outside our cottage.
Nevermind, had some good steam train rides and enjoyed the sun. Sharron's digital detox lasted until lunchtime the first day when she discovered the cafe had wifi.

Back