And today I did......

cheers ZZ an Rob no many pubs in toonhill like an ruffer than a badgers chuff!

gonna be June-ish for off road i think. Got some ideas for soft routes to build fitness but callander sounds good in a few weeks.

gonna do forth bridge from dunfy, coastal path and prob from house up round kelty on main tracks then round via benarty and kirkcaldy.

kinda weird gettin back on it like.

Re: Re:

RobMac":128e0qev said:
Keith ma Grans hip mended quicker than your shidder and shes 94

If your anythin to go by, yer grand must've done her hip with a faw nae doot lol.

Take it yer missin me, Dina worry yer will still recognise the back of ma heid but my arse has gotten a wee tad bigger.

Long overdue maintenance day. BB on the 29er has been clicking and creaking for a while but it's press fit and someone had borrowed my headset press (for nearly a year and a half). Finally got it back so ordered some enduro bearings to replace sram original. Allegedly come "packed" with grease but checked to make sure and had to top up as there wasn't a lot in them at all. Also fitted new bearings to the lefty hub. One side was fine but discovered a while ago they were missing a dust seal, must never have been built with one as it goes under the disc rotor. Fitted one when I realised but damage had been done. Spinning silently now. Been running Muc Off wet lube all winter which had turned into the stickiest tar I have ever seen. Chain, cassette and rings took half an hour scrubbing in degreaser to get even semi clean. I think the bin may be beckoning whats left of that bottle. New tyres are next on the agenda, it'll hopefully be time soon for the mud tyres to come off and my summer tyres were looking a bit worse for wear when I took them off. They were the original cheap oem tyres that came on it and the casing is starting to crack all around the knobs. Need to keep and eye out for a bargain.
Treated the Pugsley to new grips. I'd fitted a random set of lock ons from the spares drawer when I changed bars lasts year, but they've always been a bit firm. Went for ESI chunky's as everyone raves about them, but they feel a bit fat for my taste. Quite soft though so they may pack down a bit with use, I'll give them a few months anyway to see.
Lastly I tried to fit a smaller front ring to the Colnago, but I ordered the wrong BCD size. While finding this out, it also turns out I've got the smallest ring (42T) that fits the 144bcd cranks I've got. Looks like a new freewheel instead.

clubby":1jx8w70o said:
Been running Muc Off wet lube all winter which had turned into the stickiest tar I have ever seen.

I've also finally come to the conclusion that wet lube is evil stuff and does about as much harm as it does good. Pity I hadn't worked that out ten years ago, but from now on I'm using dry only - the grinding paste that you get from road salt, sand/grit and wet lube just makes metal components vanish if you're not good at cleaning after every ride. As you say, it doesn't help that cleaning off the wet lube is a nightmare, not exactly an appealing prospect in the winter when you're cold and wet...

ajm":2lhrovc1 said:
clubby":2lhrovc1 said:
Been running Muc Off wet lube all winter which had turned into the stickiest tar I have ever seen.

I've also finally come to the conclusion that wet lube is evil stuff and does about as much harm as it does good. Pity I hadn't worked that out ten years ago, but from now on I'm using dry only - the grinding paste that you get from road salt, sand/grit and wet lube just makes metal components vanish if you're not good at cleaning after every ride. As you say, it doesn't help that cleaning off the wet lube is a nightmare, not exactly an appealing prospect in the winter when you're cold and wet...

Which is why I swear by Purple Extreme. 3 StrathPuffers on one chain.

Re:

Tried it Epicyclo, but didn't like it at all. Followed instructions, brand new degreased chain, gunked up worse than any lube I've ever used. Mate loves it as well, but he used to be a rep for it and got it free.

Back