And today I did......

Hi mate
These were taken at the early section of the ride on the main sort of trails. I stopped a few times for a couple of shots later on but the batteries were dying so I just put it away. It wasn't too bad anyway, probably about the same as Dunkeld. I was almost back to the car and I thought, I'm sure I've got enough time/daylight to make a quick up and back on a track I hadn't been on for a while. I did that a few times before I thought I better go. A nice ride all round :)
I did take it few a couple of small streams to try and clean it off before i put it in the bak of the car but still had to hose it down and clean it once home. A bit like Dunkeld in that not too much mud but a good coating of pine needles.

Jamie

Jamie, I'm afraid the Wizard fitted 1x1 is not a half fat as defined by UKfatbikes and specifically Dr S. One tyre must be 3.7" wide or greater to qualify. What you have now created is a 26+ as its a small 29+ krampus. Sorry for being a fat anorak but those are the rules :roll:

velomaniac":3rxko8od said:
Jamie, I'm afraid the Wizard fitted 1x1 is not a half fat as defined by UKfatbikes and specifically Dr S. One tyre must be 3.7" wide or greater to qualify. What you have now created is a 26+ as its a small 29+ krampus. Sorry for being a fat anorak but those are the rules :roll:

And Dr S is to fatbikes............? :?

(No offence to Si intended. He is a good guy and I feel reet sorry for his knee problems that have curtailed his cycling career, but he rode a fatbike twice and bailed on a forum he started in less than a year.That does not qualify him to be the lord of the fatbike definition.)

btw, think your 1x1 looks 'kin awesome Jamie. :mrgreen:

Nah the fatbike as we know it in the UK regardless of definition had Surly Endomorph tyres to start with and thus 3.7" wide is the default minimum. Anything less than this existed for DH and cruiser bikes before the term fat was coined. Thus Jamies 1x1 is still 26+, not half or three quarter fat.
A half fat has one tyre of 3.7" wide or greater.
A three quarter fat has one tyre of 3.7" or greater and one tyre in excess of 2.5" which is the largest commonly available size so a 2.6" - 3.45" would be about right.
Anyway 26er Plus is pretty niche as it is !

was thinking of a 24 inch wheeled fat with with 3 inch downhill tyres for the wee man - smaller frame proportions qualifying it.

Thats a 24 plus, they work great. Do you want a pair of red anodised 24" 47mm wide rimmed wheels with disc hubs. The rims are drilled so look pretty cool. I can lend them to you if you want to experiment, you can buy later if you like them.

velomaniac":25w1c58g said:
Nah the fatbike as we know it in the UK regardless of definition had Surly Endomorph tyres to start with and thus 3.7" wide is the default minimum. Anything less than this existed for DH and cruiser bikes before the term fat was coined. Thus Jamies 1x1 is still 26+, not half or three quarter fat.
A half fat has one tyre of 3.7" wide or greater.
A three quarter fat has one tyre of 3.7" or greater and one tyre in excess of 2.5" which is the largest commonly available size so a 2.6" - 3.45" would be about right.
Anyway 26er Plus is pretty niche as it is !

That's outmoded thinking from the stone age of fatbiking, we need to take a different approach for this modern era of more tyres.

a = 3.7" + 2.35" = 6" (plus a poofteenth) aka half-fat

b = 3.0" + 3.0" = 6"

therefore a = b unless you are worried about insignificant figures.

So Jamie's bike is at least a half-fat, but, 3" is 0.81 of 3.7", ie more than ¾.

Because we are not worrying about poofteenths, let's call it a ¾ fat. Which is justified because its tyres are the same both ends, not like one of those unbalanced mongrelised half-fats. (You'd never catch me building one of them, oh no :) )

Which also promotes Krampi to the higher level of ¾ fat.

I wonder why no-one has thought of this before. :)

I'm totally objective in this of course. Awaiting the delivery of 3" tyres to ThreeQuarterFat my 1x1 in no way influences my thinking... :)

velomaniac":8sim81ve said:
Thats a 24 plus, they work great. Do you want a pair of red anodised 24" 47mm wide rimmed wheels with disc hubs. The rims are drilled so look pretty cool. I can lend them to you if you want to experiment, you can buy later if you like them.

yes, could be very interested in those V, send me pics and a price for the set please.

My humble apologies Velo
While I did say half fat I did mean 26+ as in a mini Krampus. The term half fat, while it wasn't what I meant to say anyway, it seems to be a very subjective term.
My Pugsley has 3.8 or 4 inches at each end and is a full fat, anything less is really just 'chubby' to me ;)
Not keeping up with the jargon, sorry :oops:
All kidding aside, it is 26+ that I was looking for so I will amend my previous posts.

Jamie

Back