Am I too heavy for SIDS

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Afternoon Folk,

Been looking at adding a suspension fork to my Hei Hei.

In my mind the logical option is a RS SID with v brake mounts - MCK's would be perfect.

However, at 100kg am I too heavy for one? Would it be a little too much like a wet noodle in the corners etc? :?

Any help, as usual, much appreciated.

Cheers,

MArk

Yes you are.
SIDs are forks for whippets. They're designed for riders who weigh under 70kgs. I'm ~80kg with all the riding gear on and I found the SID (2000 Race with 63mm travel) very flexy even with my weight.

I'd suggest you get yourself a pair of Fox Floats (or Vanillas). They're superb forks and can handle proper-sized riders ;) as well.

I'm about 70kg & have sids on one of my bikes... Suffice to say that I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone heavier than myself.

Dukes are okay...I have a set on my Hei Hei

Similar internals to SIDs yet much stiffer, V mounts and at 85mm a good length

One of our mechanics is easily 100kg. and he runs SID WCs on his Seven. They may not be super accurate under him but they ain't broke. The last SID format was one of the few remaining models capable of offering 63mm which is what I guess a retro Hei Hei would need?

I'm only around 64kg (10 stone in old money) and my old set of 2003 SID World Cups flexed like buggery when I was riding them....

The fact that they had the carbon crown and steerer, and the fact that I was more used to Marzocchi 888s at the time could have exaggerated it a teeny bit, but I soon chopped them in for a set of Vanilla RLCs and they were in a whole different world :D

I weigh 70kg and have been running some SID Sls on one bike or other for over 10 years,yes they flex but they are good forks and TBH I quite like the flex,it makes up for my questionable bike handling :D

Back