Aluminum frame bubbling paint

Remove the oxide with abrasives (wear a mask) & assess how much the tube wall thickness has been reduced, if you think it is significant bin the frame if not do the follwing.
Open up the hole with a drill to remove stress raisers to reduce the risk of cracking.
Treat the bare metal with Alocrom 1200 (or whatever the modern equivelent is).
Fill the hole & any pitting with Devcon or JB weld.
Etch prime & then paint.
Ride and enjoy until it cracks somwhere else, it is a Cannondale 30 year old aluminium alloy frame after all :LOL:

Last edited:
Or option B - buy a replacement frame for less than the cost of the bits needed to make this right.

Last solid m600 frame I sold went for sub £20. Just buy a good one and bin this.

I've read that you should rub down all the bubbling paint and remove the aluminum oxide and then either primer these areas or polish them.
Would you agree this is best course of action?
If a m900 is what you want the options are
Best option
Or option B - buy a replacement frame for less than the cost of the bits needed to make this right. And inspect the frame regularly for cracking
2nd best option
Remove the oxide with abrasives
Open up the hole with a drill to remove stress raisers to reduce the risk of cracking (if not a hole blend out pitting).
Treat the bare metal with Alocrom 1200.
Fill the hole & any pitting with Devcon.
Etch prime & then paint. And inspect the frame regularly for cracking
3rd best option
Remove the oxide with abrasives
Open up the hole with a drill to remove stress raisers to reduce the risk of cracking (if not a hole blend out pitting).
Prime & then paint. And inspect the frame regularly for cracking
4th best option
Just ride it, And inspect the frame regularly for cracking

Please cut it two and just get rid of it, stop someone hurting themselves.
Options 2 & 3 do require some engineering judgement but lets not get carried away, aluminium oxide has a volume far greater than the parent metal it came from (I dont recall the exact figure but 9-10 times rings a bell - dont quote me though) so its possibly not as bad as it looks. The good thing is that the corrosion is on the outside so at least you can see what you are dealing with.
At the end of the day Its a 30 year old ally frame, it and any aluminium frame will fail due to fatigue at some (undetermined) point, maybe not in your lifetime but eventually.
The greater risk is more likely to be 30 year old lightweight aluminium handlebars🫣

ps Inspect regularly for cracking

Would none of you even use the bike for riding on the roads & canal paths (so no jumps or drops) around London at w-ends?

I used to regularly commute in London, and the state of the roads definitely contributed to one of my frames cracking.

If you’re going to rub it down (in fact, I think you owe it to the world now - in the interests of science and safety or whatever) you should not use your usual steel wire brush, use a brass or even better a poly wheel in your drill like the example below. That way, if you do repaint it and put it back into service there will be no traces of iron left embedded into the aluminium to start any galvanic corrosion.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you’re going to rub it down (in fact, I think you owe it to the world now - in the interests of science and safety or whatever) you should not use your usual steel wire brush, use a brass or even better a poly wheel in your drill like the example below. That way, if you do repaint it and put it back into service there will be no traces of iron left embedded into the aluminium to start any galvanic corrosion.
Good point. I like these

but wet & dry paper would be fine.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back