Aluminium Cassettes... any good??

mattpayne

Retro Guru
in a vain attempt to shed a few grammes from the shockabilly im looking at getting a billit machined 7005 cassette :) at 160gm its VERY light and looks quite cool too!! im not the worlds most agressive rider and the bike doesnt get ridden as much as id like, so the thing wearing isnt so much of an issue...

but... do the teeth just get ripped off these??! :shock: ive no worries about machined chainrings, and dont see why these are any different, but there is always this nagging feeling!!! lol!!!

so looking for peoples experiences! lol!!!

I had some once, wore out scarily quickly. If it's for a garage queen or a weight weenie then fine. To ride, use a 11-24 dura ace and get great shifting and low weight.

The problem is that on a chainring you have, say a dozen teeth engaged. On a cassette you maybe only have 3 teeth engaged on the smaller sprokets so they are more prone to damage.

ditto...

the teeth won't 'rip off' but they will get cupped *very* quickly, and my experience was on a TT road bike. i can't imagine how much faster it could be once you've added all the abrasive grit from an off-road environment.

you've heard the phrase 'light, strong, cheap...pick two'? if you're really looking to save weight in the cogset, ti is a better choice.

Back